Water Level

But on the other hand... less chance of the skimmer sucking air if for some reason the water level goes unchecked for a while. (The lower draw Dave mentions is a non-issue on the pools we build - there's always a return pointed at each skimmer to 'force' floating debris into them :) )

So you are darned if you do and darned if you don't! :shock:

Bottom line, if you are getting good surface skimming and the water is staying clear then it should not be a major problem. If you skimming drops to near nonexistent (and I have seen that happen) then don't overfill the pool. It's all about the circulation. If you have both a skimmer and a main drain systems often you can compensate by opening the skimmer more and the drain less.

If you have a weir, wouldn't that eliminate the problem because it is always just below the waters surface no matter where it is on the skimmer?

It assists but doesn't eliminate it. The water "leaks" around the sides of the weir and the fuller the pool, the more area the water has to leak.

I have run my pool an inch or less above the skimmer throat and the skimming is pretty darn strong. I have almost run it to the top of the skimmers as well and the leaves, etc. pass by pretty easily. It's a very noticeable difference.....at least on my pool.

My brother left the water hose in the pool a little too long while I was away and now the water level is all the way to the top of the pool (above skimmer). I am so angry because I said make sure it doesn't go above the half-way skimmer line because the pool builder told me so.

I just hope nothing is broken or the weight of all that extra water damages something. :grrrr:

I can attest to my personal experiences with heavy rain down pours and skimming. A few months ago in Houston we were having rains like you wouldnt believe and twice my pool crested, well above the skimmers. Yet, I continued running the pumps until I could bleed off the excess water and no issues were observed.

Speaking of Weir flaps - in the closed position should the flap have any gap at the top? My Weir Flaps are 5-1/2" tall and leave a 1-1/2" gap at the top. Of course the water level never comes close to that gap. These look like after market ones and just checking to see if they are miss sized.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have always set my water level around 1"-1/2" from the top of the skimmer (usually the higher side) with absolutely no problems gettng a good debris flow into the skimmer. My return is pointed in a manner intended to push the flow that direction. As long as junk can flow in there, it's all good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.