Chlorine in a bromine pool.. good or bad?

Aug 7, 2015
Cleveland/Ohio
I'm a fairly new pool owner but I have been using the forum for help but can't find much information to help my current problem. Recently my pool was clear and all of my levels were fairly in range except for the Bromine. My Bromine was low and I was battling it with my brominator turned to high. The tabs were dissolving but there was nothing showing on my DPD test. Bromine was zero. So I read a researched that you can activate the bromine with liquid chlorine.is that correct? If not then I screwed this up. I added chlorine a few days ago but it turned my clear blue water a cloudy bluish green color. I ran my pump for a few days and no change. Then I read that it must be metals in my water so I added a bottle of Metal Free last night and still no change. How can I get back to clear water? Also, I battle with my bromine is there a way to quickly increase the bromine levels?

Br-0.4
pH- 8.0
CH - 200
TA - 120

pool store values are the similar as my test but they said my bromine was zero and my phosphates are at 1000 and copper and iron are zero

Any help would be appreciated since this is my first post

If you have either initially added a bromide bank (i.e. added sodium bromide to the pool) or have been using bromine for a while so spent bromine will have built up a bromide bank, then yes if you were to add chlorine or any other oxidizer to the pool (i.e. non-chlorine shock, ozone, etc.) then it will reactivate the bromide to bromine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.