Need design advice regarding slopes

Helen203

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Annapolis, MD
Hi pool aficionados,

A landscaper/PB came by today to discuss our project, curvy inground pool, and he threw us for a big loop: He thinks we should excavate the grassed area where the pool and new patios will go down 2 feet to match the grade of the adjoining patio, and build low retaining walls around the gardens. The existing slate patio and brick retaining wall would be removed, and replaced with pavers. The crepe myrtles would be ringed with with low walls, like raised planters. Its intriguing, but it will double the cost of the pool and patios. The wall was re-pointed a few years ago, and the patio is in pretty good condition, just dirty!

Would it be too awkward to keep the elevations as they are?? This proposal will double the project costs...

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_151943062 (1).jpg
    IMG_20150807_151943062 (1).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 127
The idea is intriguing. I would say it's not just aesthetics because it's hard to underestimate the value of having a large continuous area of decking around the pool and up to the house. It would certainly be pleasant the way you planned, but could be awesome the new way. It will also be all new. I would not do it if you are going to be there long term (15 plus years). I say this only partly in jest, it's only money. I mean, if you can afford it, there are worse ways to spend money, investing in family time and being THE entertaining house. But it has to be for you. If you have large parties, wide open specs work really well.

Before our pool, I had a guy with a great eye for design suggest leveling an area for our basketball court. Can't believe the transformation it made.

I love your area. I also like spaces with differing heights to add interest. If you decide to keep with your original plan, I would definitely cut a walkway through your brick wall, add 2-3 wide stairs up to the pool area.

Thanks for the nice words. Our PB is a designer at heart. He can also do your walls out of concrete like ours cheaper than block. It can look oretty cool. Walls that go up from the pool versus down create a great enclosing/cozy feeling without actually making it small. James and I got along great.

I do get the budget thing though. But since you are contemplating it means it's a possibility. Will be very interesting to see the other quotes.

PM me if you want to see it in person some time. It's backwards from yours though.

Any further discussions with PB's or landscape designers? Or thoughts about what you might do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.