Hayward Tiger Shark anyone own one need some advice

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

I bought a home with a pool and it has the Hayward Tiger Shark. The pool is a vinyl liner pool. It seems it will climb the wall and sometimes will just grind away stuck at the top for a while. Not sure if something is wrong with it and is it safe for my older vinyl liner from tearing it etc? How do I clean it out also to keep maximum performance and any advice how to get it running well throughout the pool?

I have a TigerShark myself. It's an older AquaVac branded one but the newer Hayward ones are the same. A couple questions:
Do you have the high velocity inlet installed? It's an insert that goes into the bottom plate of the cleaner. Looks like this on the bottom of the plate:
Hayward-RCX17000-4.jpg

If you do have it installed, try removing it to see if the robot doesn't climb so high.
There is an impeller restrictor plate that can be installed in some models which also will make the robot not climb so high, you can see it in the manual for the robot here: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/TigerShark.pdf on page 6. I'm not sure where to get the part but you could call inyopools.com and inquire about it. I ordered the high velocity inlet for mine from them and had a good experience.

EDIT, forgot to add more:
I clean my filters by taking them out and leaning them against my fence with the "X" side of the filter towards me. I use a spray nozzle with a very tight stream to rinse the whole filter from about 3 feet away. Then I flip the filters over and spray the other side at a 45 degree downward angle to clean any remaining debris from between the pleats. My TigerShark tends to climb higher when the filter is very clean and the water is warmer. When the water cools, it doesn't like to climb walls. I'd recommend putting the robot in a different area of the pool at the start of each cycle and make sure you flip the handle hinges to the opposite side before each cleaning as recommended in the manual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.