Problem with my chlorine kit?

Jul 17, 2015
Pittsburgh
Hi all! My fas/dpd kit has worked great since I got it a few weeks ago. All of a sudden yesterday, when I put the powder in, it didn't register at all. My brain almost broke, lol. I added a few drops of bleach to a new water sample, then added powder again. The powder itself initially turned pink, but the water didn't and then all went clear again. I can't remember what I did next, but the next sample worked like it always has. Now today it registered zero again. Any clue what's happening? The only thing I've done differently to the pool itself is add some calcium two days ago to get the level up.

So... I realized that with the somewhat small leak we have, and having to top off the pool every three days or so, my CYA level is really low, having dropped over the last 2 weeks. Like, lower than I can measure. We've had some sunny days lately. So I added a gallon of clorox and checked back after 30 mins. Chlorine test showed FC: 1. I just put about a pound of stabilizer in the skimmer and another gallon of bleach in the water. So glad for all I've learned here! I'll keep on top of the stabilizer and be more vigilant about the bleach. Thanks, guys!

When I added Calcium a week or two back, my FC took a major (unexpected) hit.
That may have had some influence on your early tests, that your FC was really 0, so nothing to turn it pink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC had been stable; testing daily, reading 5 and being dosed up to 7 with bleach (Pucks were running in background to raise CYA a little).
Day after adding a fresh sealed bucket of CaCl from Leslies, tested FC @ 1.
Unless every squirrel and raccoon in my neighborhood decided that night was the night to party in my pool, I have no other explanation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.