Aug 7, 2015
Katy Texas
Just moved in to a 1973 house with a pool. What is the best chlorine to use? I have been using Clorox concentrate(1 gallon to 30k H2O) with positive results but it only last a day or so. I get to 4 ppm today but tomorrow it will be 1 ppm again. Is it necessary to add clorox everyday? Should I use some other chlorine? I am also adding acid (3 pints to 30k H2O) to bring Ph down about once a week. The pool was resurfaced/repaired last winter.

Chlorine is all the same, at least when it comes to bleach. It's all sodium hypochlorite. Buy the best deal you can find and check the expiration/manufacture dates on the bottles. Old bleach is weak bleach as it loses strength over time. I buy 12.5% pool shock (bleach) because it's the best deal and I have to carry around less bottles and dispose of them. Just make sure it's not scented or outdoor or splashless bleach. To figure out the best deal, take the price, divided by the number of ounces then multiply by the percentage. Example of my sweet deal: $2 for 128 ounces of 12.5% bleach. $2.00/128*12.5 = $0.195 per ounce hypochlorite. Lower is obviously better.

What is the best chlorine to use?

Whatever is cheapest (considering both cost and strength).

I have been using Clorox concentrate(1 gallon to 30k H2O) with positive results but it only last a day or so. I get to 4 ppm today but tomorrow it will be 1 ppm again. Is it necessary to add clorox everyday?

Clorox is fine, but kinda pricey. The store brands work as well and cost less per unit of chlorine. The short answer? Expect to put chlorine in every day, maybe twice.

Should I use some other chlorine?

You don't need to.

I am also adding acid (3 pints to 30k H2O) to bring Ph down about once a week.

OK, not enough information. :testresults:

You need a good test kit, like the Taylor K-2006C, if you don't have one. Then we need to look at your water chemistry as a whole, before we can advise on pH, TA, and CH.

All the other test results are at or close to ideal. I had an above ground salt water pool before moving here and am not use to dealing with chlorine. Sounds like adding chlorine daily or every other day is what I need to be doing. Thanks for the tips on buying and adding chems.

All the other test results are at or close to ideal. I had an above ground salt water pool before moving here and am not use to dealing with chlorine. Sounds like adding chlorine daily or every other day is what I need to be doing. Thanks for the tips on buying and adding chems.
Daily testing and additions are best. With automation like your SWG or my Stenner pump you can stretch out the testing intervals because you know it's getting its daily diet of chlorine.

Just be sure to use a quality/accurate test kit, not strips and stay away from most pool store testing.

I'm sorry but telling us chemicals are ideal does not give us enough information to help you. The TFP version of "ideal" is different from the standard pool industry notion of "ideal". If you could post the test results we could let you know if the chemistry is good or if there are levels that need adjusting.

I don't know if you are new to the Houston metro area or not, but this summer has been unusually hot and dry since mid-June and folks around here are adding more chlorine more often this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.