Prevent splashing from Clorox liquid

May 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have a great collection of almost new tee shirts with white spots all over them from splashes during the pouring of Clorox into my pool. I found a solution. From an auto supply store (or Amazon) buy a spill-saver transmission fluid/oil spigot that screws (tightly) onto the mouth of the Clorox jug. They cost a few dollars but can save you ruined clothing. You can then just lay the jug on its side with the spigot in your drain and let the Clorox slowly drain out of the jug while you stand at a distance. There are no splashes because of slow drainage.

Just be sure to be careful when unscrewing the spigot before you rinse it in the pool! I do this with the jug and spigot in the pool to prevent rogue drips.

This has solved my bleach splashing problem.

Since 2009 we have had reports from a pump rebuilder that he gets most of his business from folks who put chems in their skimmer. Granted, it's still anecdotal but why take the risk? I think I've also read of a few folks skimmer baskets getting brittle. That might not be from the chems, might be just age. YMMV.

This is my opinion, backed up by conclusions drawn, by others, in this forum.... so, here's my take. Before retirement, I ran a machine shop and did a LOT of electric motor repair. There were some pool pump motors that I got to see a lot... over and over.... due to corrosion. I wasn't a pool owner, then, and knew little about pool chemistry. Putting two and two together, the consensus was that the pumps were probably eating a steady diet of chlorine.... from pucks and/or chlorine going into the skimmer. I have no smoking gun....

I am, however, developing another take and a possible contributing factor... and that is one of electrolysis, bonding, and ground loops....

Wish we had a CSI for pumps....

Into the skimmer, into the pool, whatever ... if you want to avoid wiping out your clothes with a splash when pouring from the Clorox jug ... and I have not found the trick to pouring the stuff directly out of the jug without getting an occasional air bubble that interrupts a steady flow and gives me a nice splash of pure Clorox in all directions ... try one of the transmission fluid pouring spouts. Works like a charm and it slows the flow. You can just leave the Clorox jug on its side and let it trickle into the pool and come back later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No offense intended, but there's a lot of newbies that lurk and I wouldn't want them adding bleach to the skimmer, directly into the pump.

I pour my bleach into a plastic measuring cup and slowly add it to the pool in front of the jet that returns the water from the filter back into the pool

No problem with splashing, it mixes as I add, and my pumps life is extended.

Pouring acid in the skimmer is far, far worse than anything else. Trichlor pucks without continual water flow are also a problem because they are also acidic (though not nearly as acidic as Muriatic Acid) and they are also high in chlorine. Pouring bleach or chlorinating liquid into the skimmer is less of an issue because it is higher in pH and therefore the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level is lower.

For chlorinating liquid or bleach in pool water, the maximum active chlorine level reaches 5 to 11 ppm FC (so equivalent to 10 to 22 ppm FC with no CYA at pH 7.5) depending on concentration and dilution. As the concentrated product is diluted, the pH drops and the active chlorine level rises until that peaks and then the dilution of the chlorine itself outweighs the pH effect. Also, the concentrated hypochlorite itself has some oxidizing capability. The chlorine is certainly not as innocuous as adding, say, baking soda, boric acid, or calcium chloride. As to whether this temporary high active chlorine level is a problem is open to debate.

I'm a lefty and a bit clumsy and I solved my spotted clothing problems by keeping a full length white terry robe hanging by the pool ;) It's working out really well because its also great to wrap up in after a morning swim!

I am at times enough of a klutz that I would probably spot myself trying to get the transmission nozzle in the botte ;)

I don’t know if it’s the design of its vented gallon jug, but ever since I found a source for low priced 12.5% Liquid Chlorine, I seem to have great success pouring without any splashing like I had with ‘Bleach’ jug’s.
Of course now that I’ve made this statement I’ll most likely wipe out some cloths when I do my daily add today ;-)

Wow, I posted something about splashing Clorox and I got a discussion about where to put it into the pool.
OP makes a very good point. The Admin and Moderators here encourage everyone to keep threads and subsequent posts "on topic".......it makes the threads quite a bit easier to follow.

It is difficult not to drift off sometimes and certainly all these posts are courteous and pertinent but it is nice to see this thread lead back to it's original idea.

BTW, I lower the Clorox jug into the water and then tip it over holding the mouth of the Clorox just an inch or two above the surface......no drips.

OP makes a very good point. The Admin and Moderators here encourage everyone to keep threads and subsequent posts "on topic".......it makes the threads quite a bit easier to follow.

It is difficult not to drift off sometimes and certainly all these posts are courteous and pertinent but it is nice to see this thread lead back to it's original idea.

BTW, I lower the Clorox jug into the water and then tip it over holding the mouth of the Clorox just an inch or two above the surface......no drips.

That seems to work the best for me, too. So far, knock on wood, no bleach stains this year.

I pour everything into a 5-gallon orange bucket from Homers that is half to three-quarters full of pool water and then walk around the pool slowly dumping it in reaching as far into the pool as possible...as far from the edge as possible. The diving board allows me good access to the deepest end far from the edge.

I do this with muriatic acid, baking soda, calcium chloride, etc. My Liquidator injects the sodium hypochlorate. :)

I don't seem to have issues with splashing anything...so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.