regular Bleach

A little nervous about adding bleach for the first time to my above ground pool. I want to make sure it won't stain my liner!?!?! Also, where do I add it? Near the return jet? I have Great Value Bleach...it says Sodium Hypochlorite 8.25% Other ingredients 91.85% is this okay to use?

Absolutely.

Your free chlorine level from bleach or any other form of chlorine would have to be enormously high to fade or bleach out your liner. Far, far higher than any level we ever suggest using. Once dissolved or mixed in water, all forms of Chlorine are indentical. Chlorine is a natural Element, and It's just packaged in different forms. Anyone that says otherwise, simply does not understand basic chemistry.

Welcome to TFP BTW...:wave:

Pour it S.L.O.W.L.Y in front of a return that has been angled toward the surface a bit. Going on 6 years here now and liner is stain/fade free. The sun is a lot worse enemy for fading!

Pour it in, slowly, in front of a return line... one of the jets. The idea is to let the rapidly moving water swirl and move the concentrated bleach. Bleach is quite heavy and will go to the floor of the pool if not stirred in some manner. It could also be an excuse to brush the floor of the pool (that never hurts) I have a 3 gallon bucket and I dilute my chlorine with water before taking it to the pool. That isn't necessary, but it makes me feel better....

I have a 3 gallon bucket and I dilute my chlorine with water before taking it to the pool. That isn't necessary, but it makes me feel better....

This is almost the exact technique that I use. I take my 5 gallon bucket, and fill it with about 3-4 gallons of water. I then pour in bleach. I will put in about 24 ounces per bucket. I then slowly dumb that diluted bucket in front of a return. As soon as the bucket is empty, I quickly drop the 5 gallon bucket into the water, fill it, then pour it back into the pool, repeating once or twice. By rapidly filling adn pouring the bucket with pool water, I create a lot of waves int eh pool, so it gets the bleach mixed up.

I know this is overkill, but that is my style.

If you want to pour bleach directly in, pour it slowly in front of a return that is turned ON. But dont pour it at the edge of the pool, so that the bleach sits right on the liner. Reach your arm out, and pour the bleach a few feet away from the walls. Well, as far as yoru arm will reach AND you feel comfortable that you will not fall into the pool.

With either technique, add the bleach in front of the return that is in the deepest end of the pool. Bleach is heavy and will sink, so if your return is in 3 feet of water, then the bleach might reach teh floor. BUt if the return is in 6 feet fo water, if is less likley to bottom out and sit on the bottom of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.