Reading CYA test

That video isn't very helpful. It actually shows a few things wrong:

1. It shows him standing FACING the sun.
You should have your back to the sun.

2. It shows him reading the tube that is sitting on a white surface.
It should be at waist level not sitting on anything.

3. He is holding it by the bottom and covering the side of the tube.
It should be held with two fingers at the top only, careful not to shade any part of the tube.

That video isn't very helpful. It actually shows a few things wrong:

1. It shows him standing FACING the sun.
You should have your back to the sun.

2. It shows him reading the tube that is sitting on a white surface.
It should be at waist level not sitting on anything.

3. He is holding it by the bottom and covering the side of the tube.
It should be held with two fingers at the top only, careful not to shade any part of the tube.

All good points to note. He does start outside, but moves in side for the downtube camera shots. That sure could be confusing.

The other thing I've noticed is that the Taylor kit comes with a CYA tube that's part of the comparator. Can keep hands away completely but the thing shadows itself.

CYA is a painful test. Isn't there some wise chemist out there that can develop a better way to measure?

I can count drops like a boss! :D

I think I'll order that reference fluid and then seek the magic time and place on my property.

I can already hear my wife, "Hey, let's go!" Me: "I can't, Honey, I need to measure CYA in 11 minutes." LOL....

I can be off by 5ppm, more or less depending on whether I look with my right or left eye! Hubs and I usually agree on the CYA test, but my 20 year old niece always says it's lower than what we see. Look at the bright side (pardon the pun), some people do this color blind! ;)

I had the same issue. My wife would see a much lower level (higher amount of liquid). I just ignore her reading and everything has been great! :) all kidding aside, I have a swg, so I shoot a little toward her reading as higher is not a problem. We get enough rain, I'm pumping off an inch or 2 of water every month and it balances out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm pulling up old thread because it's got lots of info in it. I'm having a really hard time with this test. my dot is not even close to disappearing and my CYA should be at 30. Are you suppose to look directly from the top (as in not thought any plastic? there is a plastic from view port which seems to have no use) the water is barely cloudy. I let my CYA dissolve in a nylon so I know it's not sitting in the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hummmmm I'm wondering if my eye sight caused me to get a real high reading on my CYA test. I just got my test kit Saturday and did my first set of tests on Sunday morning......and my CYA test showed 100 or maybe higher. The dot seemed to disappear very quickly and after reading this post I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with my eye sight....I have pretty bad eye sight but only wear glasses to read so wondering if maybe I should have had glasses on to do this test and also I did it outside but I did it on our porch so not sure if maybe that had something to do with it too.........any thoughts?

Rain? What's that? I've heard of it.... ;)

Here in WV/Ohio we have had lots of it.....you can have some of it if you want. Especially today's rain. I did my first CYA reading on Sunday morning and did it on my front porch so I'm curious if that could have been part of the reason it was reading so high.....I've been wanting to do another reading the last 2 days but it's been either raining or cloudy so I haven't done it. And right now it's nice and sunny BUT it's supposed to start raining before I get off work so you can have today's rain if you want it :) LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.