Backwash - how often?

GregoryRG

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Scituate, RI
How often do you guys backwash? Do you do this on a steady schedule, or base it on the pump pressure. My pump has been in the "green" zone for about 1.5 weeks. It has risen 1 psi, but this is due to my adding of 2.5 cups of DT.

Thanks,

Bob

The recommendation is to backwash only when psi goes up around 25% over clean.

Next time you do backwash, check the psi. Don't trust the "green". You can always use a sharpie to tic the clean psi on your gauge, calculate 25% higher and then tic that.

Also, check your gauge once in a while to make sure it goes to zero when you shut it off.

Thanks. It's clean/nominal, pre-DT add, is about 7.5 psi. My DT addition brings it up to 8.5 psi. It's running at about 9.5 psi (my 25% mark would be about 10.63 psi, but the gauge is not nearly that precise (and probably not that accurate as well)). I may have to look around for a better gauge.

I am pretty sure your 25% should be based off of 7.5, not the post DE of 8.5. My clean pressure is way higher so I have more wiggle room between clean and "dirty".

TFtestkits sells gauges!

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha. Great minds...! Cross-post

I only backwash once *maybe* twice a summer? I just don't get much to require it. Gauge works fine.

I have read here that over-doing the back washing can actually make the filter medium less effectiv3 (a slightly dirty filter works better than a pristine clean one).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.