How can I tell of DE is coming through the returns?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

So I added DE the other day and things were running fine. I tried connecting my vac by shutting off the main drain and shallow end valve while leaving the deep end open. Turned on the filter and when i stuck the end of the vac to the deep end all of a sudden the filter clicked and stopped and psi went down to nothing. I opened back up all valves turned the filter on again then from the deep end return I saw some white streak like coming from the return but now has stopped and not seeing anything. When the filter first turned on I saw bubbles from each return then they started running. How do I know if the DE is coming out of the return? The loud click and shutoff makes me worried something got overloaded.

Sounds to me like you have a suction side leak and those "white streaks" are are bubble streams. Unscrew an eyeball. wrap a knee hi around the threaded end, screw it back in, start the pump and see what you get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.