Chemical MESS

Jul 23, 2012
Hi All! Thank you for taking the time to help! Pool specs are in the signature line. I am having an issue getting the chemicals right/stabilizing in the pool! :( We have had the pool about 5 years, and I thought we had mastered it; boy was I wrong! This year started with us having an issue with High PH. We are in the mid-west, and have had tremendous amounts of rain (not sure if this affects PH or not). So we began adding muratic acid to bring the PH down. Everything seemed to be going ok, with the exception of continuing to have to add the acid quite often. It never seemed to stabilize. After our 4th of July party (thank goodness), the water started getting very cloudy. The test kit we had (chemical kit from the pool store - yes, i know!), that we had good luck with in years past (replaced each year - no exception for 2015) was registering the chlorine OFF the charts with PH still high. Cloudy water and algae starting to grow.

Thinking it was the media in the filter, we cleaned out the filter entirely (the last clean out was about 3 years ago). We did add some pea gravel to the bottom of the filter (about 50 lbs to cover the "fingers", and about 150 lbs of sand). After a few days of lots of chlorine and running the pump with the new media, I figured we would have crystal clear water! Wrong. Now, cloudy, and algae growth (which actually I couldn't quite tell if it was mustard colored algae, or blow-back from the new media).

At any rate, under suspicion, that the test kit was foul, I decided to take the water to a pool store to
test. Pool store test came back LOW chlorine, LOW alkalinity, Low Calcium hardness, High PH. I came home and ordered a TFTestkit! :goodjob: In an effort to maintain the water even a little bit (don't beat me up TOO BAD!!), I did add chlorine; 2 tabs a day, and also added baking soda until I received the test kit. The water looked great! But below results indicate otherwise! :(

So, with all that background, here are the REAL water test results. And I am at a loss, 1) how did the CYA get so high, and can I do anything to lower it (besides drain the pool)? And 2) what is the first thing I need to address in this mess? And WHY has our PH been an issue since the beginning of the year?! Anything you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!!

FC - 40PPM
CC - 0
TC - 40PPM
TA - 180
CYA - 100
PH - average 8

Re: Chemical MESS!

WOW. From now on when you test the FC, use 10cc of pool water so that each drop = 0.5 (in other words, 80 drops divided by 2=40ppm) This saves your reagent.

Your CYA is high because you use pucks. Each puck adds *almost as much* CYA to the water as it does Chlorine. And you may actually be much higher than the 100 which is the standard limitation on test kits. Take 1 part pool water and mix it with equal part of tap water. Then repeat the test using this mixture as your pool water sample and double the result. Iyou then get a result such as 70, your true result is 140. Capisce?? ;)

Who told you to put pea gravel in the filter??? Never have I heard of this and I suspect it is contributing to your problems.

We decided to go with the pea gravel just as an added medium...it is kinda "controversial", so to say. We were having issues BEFORE the switch to the pea gravel with the initial cloudy water and algae....

I will test again diluting the sample with tap water. :)

CYA with diluted sample is 150. :( that's even worse! Here are a few pics of the pool. It is looking clear - there is a some discoloration on the steps. Which makes me think algae...but seemingly, I am no expert....IMG_4314.jpg
IMG_4315.jpg

The only way to lower that CYA is to drain some and replace the water with fresh water. You can get away with doing it in increments or one big push (But leave at least a foot or so at the bottom at all times to maintain the liner). How is your water source- city, well or trucked in? Pool Math says you need to drain 73% to get down to 40 CYA.

If city or well, have you ever tested it for baseline values? Sometimes knowing that stuff is useful down the road.

Have you discovered Pool Math yet? Nifty app here on TFP (top of the home page) which will help guide you in taking control of your "mess" as you put it :). You need to pop your numbers in to the "now" column, then input what your desired levels are, and it will advise you. Don't forget to put in your pool water volume and down at the bottom your pool surface and that you want to take the advice of TFPool. Gotta fill those three things out first to get it to calculate the numbers. It will also give you your desirable ranges as suggestions.

You need to perform an OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) per Pool School instructions to determine if there is living algae still present....and possibly the need to SLAM your pool to get it back clear, clean and healthy.

Hi YippeeSkippy, i searched TFP for "pea gravel filter" and there are dozens of results, so i guess it is a known technique. i did not however read the threads to see if it's a good idea or not.

Twotone, pH rise is caused by aeration, but i don't see anything in your pool that would cause a lot if any. I suppose rain could increase pH by the aeration of the drops hitting the water. As YippeeSkippy said above, check the pH of your hose water if that's how you filled it, possibly it is high in pH or alkalinity.

hi and welcome to tfp
to answer your questions in order
1 your cya got that high from using pucks, to fix this you need to drain water , this should be a high priority
please add your location to your signature. you can use a slightly higher cya the further south you are
2 your ph is rising because your ta is elevated, adding bicarb made this worse
but the ph test is not accurate when fc is over 10 so dont bother testing until your fc is below 10
if you allow your fc to drop below 10 with 150cya you risk algae
my suggestion would be to drain half the water and refill
then allow fc to drop to 10
then run a full test including ch
you dont need to add any ch but you need to know where it is

Using pea gravel is just fine and even encouraged in some filters. The idea is to encapsulate the laterals with more porous materials so that sand won't restrict water flow directly around and through the laterals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.