Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to acid wash pool walls

1. Back To Top    #1

How to acid wash pool walls

I have a 5 yr old gunite pool that has staining for calcium hardness. Pool was filled with deep well and from the advice of waterbear we refill from our treated water. We have a 12-13,000 gal pool with spa. Walls and bottom are gray in spots. No damage to the plaster, just ugly! We have drained most of the pool due to other work done at our home. Thought it would be a great time to clean up the ugly stains. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We did acid wash out brick house after the construction and it turned out great. We had a soft faced bring so had to be very careful.

L Stone

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to acid wash pool walls

What we used to do was have someone slowly pour the acid over the stains while the other person scrubbed with a stiff brush. Then rinse with lots of water. best to do this when there is a breeze and stand up wind. You probably should wear some ppe. Maybe goggles, some rubber gloves and rubber boots.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to acid wash pool walls

Welcome to TFP!!

It's funny, just the other day this thread got bumped over on Pool Forum, it contains some specific advice on DIY acid washing. (Waterbear and I added some practical advice at the bottom of the thread)

Be safe with the acid and don't float the pool!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)