air jetting out return when increasing pump speed

Jun 18, 2015
Oldham, KY
Is it normal or OK to have air jetting out of one of the returns when I increase the RPM of my VS pool pump? Sometimes see air bubble in pump filter basket, sometimes not. Sometimes air bubbles out of the same return that occasional jets out air when I up the RPMs. Pool contractor said it is normal from time to time.

As OldPoolBoy2 was alluding to, here is the TFP link to the Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks to rule-out any areas where air can enter the system. Having said that though, I have also seen posts that indicate some VS pumps may (on occasion) allow a small amount of air to settle under the pump basket clear lid when on low. This appears to have something to do with the low pressure at times, and the strong force of the pump's "pull" of water actually drawing-down the water level in the pump basket, but not pulling so much water it can keep it full. So when the pump goes to a higher RPM, it pulls enough water into the pump basket to keep it full eliminating all air. I'm not a VS pump owner, but some other forum members may know what I'm talking about and can expand.

I have a 2 speed pump that seems incredibly strong for my pool. I'm not complaining, but on occasion, I've had champagne-size bubbles exit the same return off & on. Not enough to lose prime to the pump, only to drive me crazy looking for something wrong. After exhausting everything on the suction leak page link above and other ideas I cold find, I just came to realize that is a unique characteristic of my pool.

So if the air bubbles are not excessive, you're not losing prime to the pump, and it's only happening when you increase the RPM, I would tend to say you should be okay. You can (and should) exhaust everything on the link above, but after that, it may very-well just be a characteristic unique to your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.