Need to raise CYA. Will it hurt to wait?

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
Since my pool is so small and I have swimmers almost every day, the splash out, evaporation and need to add water has lowered my CYA from 60 to low-mid 40's (which I treat as 50 to be safe) a lot sooner than I expected. As a result I'm losing between 6-7ppm FC in 24 hours. I test quite often in the morning as well to be sure I'm not losing any at night, and although I was once, I did sort of a mini slam where I kept it 20 for about 36 hours and it held overnight on the second night, and continues to do so.

So if I use the sock method, that takes a week to get a good reading, would it be better to wait 3 weeks until the kids go back to school so I'm not fighting with so much water replacement as well? I know it's not much CYA loss but it'd be easier to wait (in my mind anyway). We'll probably be able to swim at least until October, but then will take the pool down (hopefully to get a bigger pool next year), if that makes a difference and how you'd handle it.

Aside from having to use a more bleach, will leaving my CYA where it is hurt anything else? I can't think of anything, so that's why I'm asking you guys! :p

Thanks

As long as other numbers are okay and you don't mind adding the chlorine daily, I see no problem in waiting. If it keeps dropping, it just means more bleach, but CYA of 40 is not bad at all.

Hope that helps:)

No, I don't mind adding daily. Other numbers are great. In fact I'm one of those crazy people who loves learning and doing this! Stop learning and your mind starts to go. Since I didn't have much of one to begin with, learning is FUNdamental. Luckily I don't mind folding towels either! ;)

Thanks, guys

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.