Intex pool, filter and vacuum options

Jul 12, 2015
midland tx
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a 16x48 intex pool. I have the stock pump and filter and have looked into maybe getting a sand pump but which one? West Texas we have lots of dirt blowing. I've been vacuumimg with a vacation that attaches to the suction and has a bag catcher but it takes forever..I also have the over the wall skimmer. I am looking for a good sand filter option and a good vacation option I was looking at the haward aqua bug on amazon has some good reviews?

Welcome to TFP!

Anything is better than those stock pumps! You can google INTEX sand filters and see what they offer. It is a rule of thumb to always purchase the biggest sand filter you can afford and take it easy on the pump to save electricity. If you're going to do the new filter, buy a skimmer box and install it too so you can attach a vac line right into the skimmer box. There is a modification thread in this forum too.

I have the 12" sand filter for a 15 X 48 and I wish it was stronger. It vacuums slower than I had hoped. Definitely put the salt water chlorine generator next on your wish list. If you have the easy set pool then check out my skimmer mod, but if you have the metal frame consider the skimmer box like Casey suggested.

I heard the saltwater system is hard to take care of around here in west Texas?

I have also looked at the side skimmer and it seems like a great mod. But I don't know if I want to loose that much water level..

What vacuum do you guys recomend

I have to run my SWG for 10 hours in Houston and be sure there is plenty of CA.

For vacuuming, I just use a hose connected to a brush while diving. The easy set pool tends to collect all of the debris near the edges so it's not really a lot of work. I have looked at the Aqua Bug as well since it is a less expensive option but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I looked into the Hayward wall skimmer too but didn't do it for just that reason. A four foot pool needs all the water it can get. That's why I designed the modification to the Intex over-the-wall skimmer. It holds itself up, has full flow around the top and is easy to remove when I want to connect the hose for vacuuming.

I am looking at the intex 3000gph sand filter and the aqua bug vacuum. I am planning on a hard sided pool next summer and a bigger one maybe 24x52 so want a filter and vacuum that will work on that setup. What do you guys recomend.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you got pics of the mod

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.