Full Test Results

Jun 6, 2015
madisonville, tx
So I have to admit, I fell off the TFP wagon for about two weeks. Been fighting a pump issue that I finally got resolved tonight. (I have to say, those that watch the testing and balancing side of this forum are considerably more responsive than the equipment side of the forum. Could be though that my question was so elementary that they assumed I would just figure it out). Anyway, with the help of TFP, this is probably the first time in 4 years that the floor of the deep end of my pool can be seen. After the two week hiatus over my pump, here are my test results.

FC, TC, & CC - 0
CYA - 5 or less
PH -8.4
TA - 240
CH - 75

Though the pool is clear, I can see algae spots forming down the sides and around the returns. I've been fighting keeping CYA in the pool, but may have dropped due to the significant drain while repairing pump. I'm concerned that the TA is too high and the CH is too low. I need to get bleach into it ASAP as well as a gal of muriatic. I cant get it in my sig, but it's a 40k gal in ground plaster pool with a Hayward Sand Filter and a pentair 2hp pump. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Go get some muriatic acid, you are going to need some. First, get pH under control.... and that can be done in 2-3 hours. Then, SLAM the pool until clear.

Once clear, you need to bring the CYA up, the TA down (and that, frankly, will take a while), and boost your CH up.

PS
You have a pH of 8.0+, the test isn't accurate over that amount. You'll probably need 2 gallons of MA to get started(not all at once).

So I have to admit, I fell off the TFP wagon for about two weeks. Been fighting a pump issue that I finally got resolved tonight. (I have to say, those that watch the testing and balancing side of this forum are considerably more responsive than the equipment side of the forum. Could be though that my question was so elementary that they assumed I would just figure it out).

Just as fyi, most of the primary responders look at every new thread that posts regardless of what forum it is posted to. Everyone on TFP maintains pool water. Far fewer repair or replace their own equipment. Far fewer still troubleshoot their own electrical. And fewer still are confident enough in their own electrical knowledge to advise another person on how to troubleshoot an electrical problem without seeing exactly what is going on.

Glad you got your pump issue resolved. And glad that TFP has helped you get your pool water under control.

I didn't see your request for help on the pump, but if I had, all I could have done is ask for pictures and a more thorough explanation..... The danger in trying to advise on issues like that are, if you don't know what you did wrong, you might not be the best person to describe the current situation..... IOW, it would be w-a-a-a-a-y-y too easy to give you bad advice....

Last edited:
Just as fyi, most of the primary responders look at every new thread that posts regardless of what forum it is posted to. Everyone on TFP maintains pool water. Far fewer repair or replace their own equipment. Far fewer still troubleshoot their own electrical. And fewer still are confident enough in their own electrical knowledge to advise another person on how to troubleshoot an electrical problem without seeing exactly what is going on.

Glad you got your pump issue resolved. And glad that TFP has helped you get your pool water under control.
That makes sense. Turns out after tracing wires, looking for a GFI issue, replacing my timer, and the pool sitting for a week with no circulation, it was just a burned spot in the motor. Rotated the shaft a quarter turn, hit the power, and it fired right up. Preparing to slam again. Hopefully it goes much faster this time. On a side note, is there such a thing as liquid CYA or something that quickly disolves?

So I have to admit, I fell off the TFP wagon for about two weeks. Been fighting a pump issue that I finally got resolved tonight. (I have to say, those that watch the testing and balancing side of this forum are considerably more responsive than the equipment side of the forum. Could be though that my question was so elementary that they assumed I would just figure it out). Anyway, with the help of TFP, this is probably the first time in 4 years that the floor of the deep end of my pool can be seen. After the two week hiatus over my pump, here are my test results.

FC, TC, & CC - 0
CYA - 5 or less
PH -8.4
TA - 240
CH - 75

Though the pool is clear, I can see algae spots forming down the sides and around the returns. I've been fighting keeping CYA in the pool, but may have dropped due to the significant drain while repairing pump. I'm concerned that the TA is too high and the CH is too low. I need to get bleach into it ASAP as well as a gal of muriatic. I cant get it in my sig, but it's a 40k gal in ground plaster pool with a Hayward Sand Filter and a pentair 2hp pump. Thoughts?

How did you get that CYA reading? What test kit are you using?

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've never heard of that with a pump. Very interesting.

The CYA tube reads high at the bottom and low at the top. Sounds like CYA is high, not low.
What I meant was it indicates a level as low as 10. When I checked it again this morning, it was at 0. Filled the CYA tube to the top with the mixture of water and solution and could still see the black dot clearly at the bottom. Added 4 lbs of cya at the skimmers with socks. It'll prob take a couple of days to disolve. Pool is clear, but a tremendous amount of algae spots across the bottom and on the walls. Scrubbing, vacuuming, and slamming now.

Good plan. Ok, I agree with your CYA test results. That is how my pool does algae, clear water and spots of algae. Be sure to check under ladder rungs, behind lights and in pool cleaners. Those are places where algae likes to hide. Assume that the CYA in the sock is in the pool and set the chlorine level accordingly, Chlorine CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.