Make sure I am thiking straight about pH - 7.8 TA 110

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Water is crystal clear, but my pH like to peg round 7.8

I can lower, but it raises back up....I do have a slide and a 5 year old that swims a ton (2 hours a night)

No eye irritation and water is lovely.

Should I worry about anything, or is this totally ok.

If I had acid, the pH slowly goes back up to 7.8 and sticks forever...

Please let me know if I need to do the TA lower trick , Acid to bring pH to 7.2 ish and then aerate to raise. I really don't want to do this, unless you all think my pH related numbers are high...

Hi toofast, While I'm not the PH TA expert :rolleyes:, I have seen the pros say there is a sweet spot with your TA that will slow PH rise. And when they see me posting advice to you, they will jump in and bail us out :D

It sounds like you're saying it stays at 7.8, I would be tempted to leave it alone since you have a fiberglass liner. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Boy pooldv is sooo good he bailed me out before I finished my post. Talk about PROS :bowdown:

Your pH is at the upper limit of what is recommended, but your TA is over the recommended amount.... so no action is *required,* but facing this same sort of dilemma, I allowed the TA to drift down over time and when I reached a TA of 60, I no longer had to fight the pH with gallons and gallons of MA.

I was having a similar problem but pH was drifting more towards 8 and my TA was 110. I was adding muriatic acid every couple of days. Adjusted TA down to 90 and haven't had to add muriatic acid in about 2 weeks as my pH has been stable at 7.5. Makes me believe in the sweet spot theory and mine appears to be a TA of 90.

Since my pool is Fiberglass, I am lead to believe CH is not that critical....but maybe I am wrong. Once I get back into town I will do the full range of tests.

low CH is not an issue with fiberglass, but if its really high you can get scale, especially if your pH is really high or low...and that's for any pool. I would run a full set of tests and plug them into pool math and see what your CSI is

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also used the lowering TA trick to keep my PH from constantly rising to 8. My PH stays nearly steady now at 7.6 with TA settling in at 40. But I have less to worry about with a vinyl liner, or so I'm told. But if my pool was happy at 7.8, I'd probably be happy with it too unless I was preparing for a SLAM.

I should add also, that once I dropped my TA to 70ish, I have stopped the pH feud going on between me and my pool. With my pH @100-110, my pH would bounce up over 8.2 almost faster than I could lower it. Literally from 7.5 back to over 8.2 in less than 24 hours... it was infuriating!
But now it's rock steady... hasn't gone over 8 in nearly 2 months. Stays right at 7.5, just where it belongs, for weeks. Only barely starting to creep up, to almost 7.8 yesterday.... I plan to lower it again soon, but I'm not in a big hurry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.