Jul 11, 2015
Cypress, Tx
Current levels:

FC: 0
pH: 8.2
TA: 180
CYA: 50

Also, water is cloudy.

I put bleach in the pool yesterday but my pool is in direct sunlight all day. I just brought home an Aqua EZ Floating Pool Chemical Dispenser and Clorox Pool & Spa Active 99 3" Chlorinating Tablets. I also bought some Clorox Pool & Spa Shock Plus. I'm just not sure how much of it I need to add to my pool.

FYI...Yes, I have read the information at the Pool School. I still don't understand how much shock to add to my 16' x 48" AGP. Thanks in advance for your help.

Her water is cloudy Dave.

As Richard said, NONE. You need to go get unscented bleach and look at Pool Math in my signature. Also, another go around Pool School over a cup of coffee, a beer, or whatever you prefer would not hurt you. :cool:

To get a full understanding, re-read Pool School. However the key thing to understand is CYA and forms of chlorine.

Your pool needs CYA - it slows chlorine loss, but it also makes chlorine less effective. 50 where you are is fine (a touch high IMO, but still OK). You do not want it to go higher, or else you will start having problems. CYA does not drop on it's own, the only way to lower it is too drain some water and add fresh.

Now here comes the kicker - any kind of chlorine that you buy that comes in solid form - pucks, sticks, granules - either shock, tabs, clean and swim, or whatever else they call it, also contains CYA - that is just how it is. Using solid chlorine will raise your CYA.

That is why we say to use bleach (or, if you have a source and are comfortable with it, liquid chlorine, which is in essence stronger bleach)

As to how much bleach you need to add - look at pool math. Also - which pool has the problem, apparently you have two, of two different sizes.

-dave

Hello essjay75, I'm wondering right now if your just standing back and scratching your head :D

If your new here like me, all the above advice is spot on ! But, when you first read it all, it can be overwhelming. If that's the case, take a deep breath and slowly take it all in.

AT first I said, "do what to what and because of what". The bottom line is, all the answers are here AND these folks will help you every step of the way. So I would say read and reread, and if you have ANY questions ask away.

As someone told me "there are no stupid questions" Oh and Welcome to TFP :wave:

OK - I re-read this and saw that the trouble is in your 6,000 gal pool.

Here is what you need to do:

Step 1) Return all of the chemicals you bought, and use the money to buy a lot of bleach. Get PLAIN bleach, no scents, no splashless. It should be 8.25% (it will say in fine print on the bottle)

Step 2) Look at the Chlorine CYA Chart (link in a previous post). It says, for a CYA of 50, your target FC (free chlorine) level is between 4 and 6 ppm, and your shock level is 20 ppm

Step 3) look at the pool math link. Put in your 6,000 gallons at the top, and then go to the very bottom where you can see the results of adding various strength bleach. In your 6,000 gallon pool, adding 9oz of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1.0 ppm. So, to go from 0 where you are, to 20 you will need to add 20x9 = 180 oz of bleach. Since you want to be at or above shock level, add more, like 198 oz total.

Step 4) read the instructions for SLAMing a pool. You have to keep your pool at or above the 20 ppm until the process is done (it passes the OCLT and less than 0.5 ppm CC tests). So you have to keep adding bleach to your pool to keep the level above 20 ppm

Step 5) Once your pool is done with the SLAM process, and all is good, you can let your FC level drift down to the 4-6 range. Test your water, and add bleach as necessary to keep it in that 4-6 range (remember 9oz of 8.25% bleach in your pool will raise the FC by 1.0)

Step 6) Enjoy clear safe water, and an easy and cost efficient pool.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.