Lake water clothes

Jun 9, 2014
clinton
Wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes. We boat on the weekends and I'm wondering if it's ok to swim in the pool clothes that have been in the lake without needing washed, if so should I bump my chlorine up at all?

That could introduce some forms of algae that are harder to control.
I hope this isn't considered a hijack of the thread, but I think it belongs here...

Are there really algae in natural bodies of water that are different enough from what typically grows in pools that they are 'harder to control' as you say? I've read plenty of threads where people wonder if they have some super-resistant unusual algae species in their pool, only to be told that that is not a viable hypothesis. Anecdotally, my kids have been swimming in at least three different lakes/ponds this summer (day camps, swimming lessons, etc.). They hang their stuff up to dry when they get home, but are allowed in the pool later with the same swimsuits... See, I bought into the idea that algae is algae, and adequate chlorine kills algae and keeps it from multiplying.

So far, no problems in the pool. However, if better stronger algae are actually out there (?) I would like to be better informed.

To me it is not so much that it is better or different algae. It is the fact that it IS algae. At least from the lakes and ponds.

I jet ski in a river all of the time. There is no visible algae but.....I do not take any chances. Wash before reuse at this house.

Kim

Not trying to be argumentative, but aren't algae spores all around us anyway? I had assumed that a swimsuit dunked in lake water, and then hung up in the sun to dry, was no greater hazard than the ambient environment around the pool.

My question above was about the fear of introducing 'harder to control' algae from lake water into our pools. In short, any reason to think that algae from natural bodies of water are, in fact, different and harder to control than the species that usually cause trouble in swimming pools?

My question above was about the fear of introducing 'harder to control' algae from lake water into our pools. In short, any reason to think that algae from natural bodies of water are, in fact, different and harder to control than the species that usually cause trouble in swimming pools?

Yes, very much so IMO. Plus additional water borne cooties that you normally won't find in a pool can be transferred in.

OK, I'll bite - based on what evidence or information?

Edited to add - the post I responded to said simply "Yes, very much so." The post was then edited to mention other things (non algae) that might come from lake water, which may be a valid point. More specifics would be interesting, but I wanted to clarify that my question wasn't directed to that part of the previous post.

I still hope to see evidence, or lack thereof, that lake or pond algae is somehow different and harder to control if it finds its way into a swimming pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I don't have citations at my fingertips, just awareness that different water bodies harbor different things (not necessarily just algae). Vibrio is one example of a bacteria that rears its head at times in water down in the coast.

I've cared for patients with infections acquired from water borne activities and even know of cases of getting sick from fish tank bacteria, and while of course our chlorine filled pool should be able to handle them, I wouldn't want to encourage inoculation of the pool with unusual flora and fauna.

Well, I don't have citations at my fingertips, just awareness that different water bodies harbor different things (not necessarily just algae). Vibrio is one example of a bacteria that rears its head at times in water down in the coast.

I've cared for patients with infections acquired from water borne activities and even know of cases of getting sick from fish tank bacteria, and while of course our chlorine filled pool should be able to handle them, I wouldn't want to encourage inoculation of the pool with unusual flora and fauna.

bacteria thrive in lakes, etc because there is nothing to kill/oxidize them. bacteria do not survive very long in chlorinated pools, cdc link for reference: CDC - Chlorine Disinfection Timetable - Pools Recreational Water - Healthy Water

I agree with others that I don't think its a big deal at all to jump in the pool after being in a lake. you were already exposed to whatever issues were present in the lake and are fine, and those "things" will not survive very long in a chlorinated pool. if you are that concerned with exposure of bacteria, parasites, etc, then I would suggest you don't get in the lake.

- - - Updated - - -

Just tossing this out there- "safe for drinking but don't get it up your nose" UGH.

Third Louisiana Public Water Supply Site Tests Positive for Brain-Eating Amoeba

i'll take my chances with brain eating amoebas in my pool instead of a lake any day :)

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to be argumentative, but aren't algae spores all around us anyway? I had assumed that a swimsuit dunked in lake water, and then hung up in the sun to dry, was no greater hazard than the ambient environment around the pool.

you are correct that spores are all around us and are constantly bombarding our pools. I guess I don't share the same views on this as others, but I wouldn't have any issues to go from the lake to the pool. if the fear is contacting something, stay out of the lake. algae, even some strain that may have higher tolerances to chlorine, can be handled by the pool. we are testing every day so we can handle it pretty quickly.

No big deal, in my point of view. If I were swimming in a lake that I would swim in the first place, it would be fine. If I had been wading through one of the more scummy lakes or a wetland or marsh around here, then it would be wash for sure. We've got 10,000+ lakes around here but some are better than others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.