Starting up pool after 2+ years dormant - Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

After I got most of silt out I still could only see about a foot down into water before vacuum head disappeared, this is where I started to slam, filter and then vacuum out the heavy residual. I left the pump on 24/7 for over 7 days. My motor is so old and corroded so that I can no longer read the face plate and model number so I do not think it is suicide to do that. During SLAM which is recommended by this site, the pump is supposed to be on 24/7, so most on here are doing similar some much longer than myself.
PS, you have way better visibility than I had my water looked like coffee with heavy cream in it. I can see the seat in your spa in the picture above.
If you do need to have Pool Store come out to change pump, also have them explain the system you have thoroughly and all your plumbing if not familiar already, this helped me a lot just be careful of the diagnosis. One guy told me I had broken pipes in my return lines and wanted to dig up concrete to replace the lines which would cost thousands of dollars. What I had was a bad spider gasket ($50 to buy the top half of valve online) and broken lateral ($40 online)
I do have sand filter and had to backwash several times, I assume you will have to clean filter several times but do not know as not that familiar with other types of filters. I also had thick black layer stuck to liner but the SLAM with brushing several times a day took care of it.

Thanks! All that is really helpful and I really appreciate it. The reason I have some visibility may be that I've been shocking it since I got rid of the bullfrogs. I don't want to have to try and remove them humanely again. It was a PITA!

I guess I need to read up on what SLAM means. I think I really like the idea of draining and acid washing, but I can always do that next year since it looks like I may have to buy some new pumps and possibly a new cleaner and grids. I'd think this pool has really high TDS by now.

I have not found a pool service company I trust. If anyone knows of one in the far NW Houston/Tomball area, please don't hesitate to post or pm me. Call me crazy, but I think I may start with an electrician since the pump problem may be electrical. That may add money, but potentially save some as well.

By the way, I do know an honest plumber in this area if anyone needs one :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.