Ad 1 gallon muriatic to 8500 gal pool?

Aug 5, 2015
caribbean
We have an 8500 gallon plaster pool with an algae problem.
I am trying to manage the problem long distance with the guy who kindly takes care of our pool, but has limited knowledge of pool chemistry.
We've tried algaecides, shock, bleach, etc and have not been able to get it under control.

We phoned a pool maintenance company and they have suggests adding 5lbs of pool shock and 1 gallon of muriatic acid, at the same time.
This does not seem right to me.
Never heard or read this suggesting for eliminating algae.
Pool company claims it will clear it up instantly.

Once again, this is hard to manage long distance and we don't have the option to get second opinions as there is not a long list of pool companies.

Does anyone think this will work?
And if it does, won't I have to bring the ph back up afterwards as surely a gallon in 8500 gallons will lower it drastically.
I'm no expert either so any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi HugeAlgae, welcome. Where is the pool located? Do your helpers there have ready access to stores like a wal mart or home depot? How often are they able to access and tend to the pool? We can help you get the algae taken care of without needing "pool care people" but it will require some supplies and manual labor.

Thanks for the replies! Pool is located in the Caribbean. Water temp is probably about 85-86. Only have access to one very small (and not very well stocked) pool store. I can get someone there daily if necessary.
EDIT ADD ON...
PS I agree, the MA amount seems extreme and I doubt it will solve the algae problem. He did tell him to put the shock in first so hopefully he told him to wait before adding the muriatic. Can anyone tell me why he would have even suggested this?

Thanks for the replies! Pool is located in the Caribbean. Water temp is probably about 85-86. Only have access to one very small (and not very well stocked) pool store. I can get someone there daily if necessary.
EDIT ADD ON...
PS I agree, the MA amount seems extreme and I doubt it will solve the algae problem. He did tell him to put the shock in first so hopefully he told him to wait before adding the muriatic. Can anyone tell me why he would have even suggested this?

Because he does not understand pool chemistry. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.