Question regarding intex filter pump

gingel

Aug 5, 2015
Israel
Hello,

I have a new intex 10' x 30 metal frame pool, and also an old intex filter pump of 530 GPH.
it worked ok for a few days, and then the water flow that is returning to the pool was not constant,
like there is air in the system.
I did bleed the air from the pump when it was off.

I played with the pump a little, trying to bleed the air many times, and the water flow is now constant, but looks like
there is still air in the top of the pump.
When the pump is working and i open the air release valve, there is no water coming out.
Is it not supposed to have water coming out from the air release valve when it open, even when the pump is running?

I have the new pump that came with the pool (330 GPH), and i know it's a lot weaker, but it makes a nice water flow
at the outlet nozzle, and when i open the air release valve while pump is running, water is coming out.

I made a video of the outlet nozzle when the pump is running (the 530 GPH). it looks like the water flow is not smooth like it was
a few days ago.
What do you think? (sorry for the video quality, i'll try to find a better camera)
https://youtu.be/gM7h8SXpu-k

Other than that, i see no air in the hoses, and the pump does filter the water.
Also the pump make a regular noise.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to TFP! I believe you are correct about water and air releasing from the top. At least my old Intex pump did. Once you begin to unscrew that knob on the top of the pump, air, followed by water, should escape from the top. Some folks will tilt or rock the pump a little back & forth to help get that air out. You might try that technique. I hope it helps. Also, here are some of our common pages to help you during the season:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Hope this helps. Welcome to TFP!

When the pump is working and i open the air release valve, there is no water coming out.
Is it not supposed to have water coming out

No, when the pump is running, if you open the bleed valve on the top, it will suck air in, not blow water out. You must do that with the pump turned off.

It sounds like you have a suction side air leak. Unscrew the top of the filter canister and make sure the o-ring is not damaged and is seated properly. Then firmly screw the lid back on and open the valve to bleed out the air. Then turn on the pump and see if it's working.

If not, turn the pump off again and lay it on its side and see if any water leaks out around the lid. Check all the skimmer side hose connections too.

Hello and welcome to TFP! I believe you are correct about water and air releasing from the top. At least my old Intex pump did. Once you begin to unscrew that knob on the top of the pump, air, followed by water, should escape from the top. Some folks will tilt or rock the pump a little back & forth to help get that air out. You might try that technique. I hope it helps.

Thank you. i really like reading here. a lot of information. thanks for the links.
Do you mean to tilt the pump while it's running?

No, when the pump is running, if you open the bleed valve on the top, it will suck air in, not blow water out. You must do that with the pump turned off.

It sounds like you have a suction side air leak. Unscrew the top of the filter canister and make sure the o-ring is not damaged and is seated properly. Then firmly screw the lid back on and open the valve to bleed out the air. Then turn on the pump and see if it's working.

If not, turn the pump off again and lay it on its side and see if any water leaks out around the lid. Check all the skimmer side hose connections too.

I did bleed the air while the pump is off, but with my other smaller pump (330 GPH),
the water does come out from the air release valve while the pump is working.

If i raise the return hose then the water flow is much quieter becuase it makes the outlet nozzle to be a little lower in the water.

With the 530 GPH pump, i bleed the air while it's off, then run it for a few minutes, and then shut if off.
when it's off, if i open the air release valve, there is air again inside that comes out (although it's small amount of air).
Is that normal?

Here is a video that explains how my pump operated and needed to be bled from air: Intex 1000 gal/hr Filter Pump Model 637 Setup Instructions - YouTube. I should clarify that the bleeding of air is done with the pump "off". It's been a while since I had this one. :) Fast-forward to about 2:50 in the video. Good luck.

Thank you. Yes, i bled the air while it's off.

If you are able to let water escape while the pump is off, but then still continue to get air in the pump later while it's running, that does sound like somehow air is getting into the suction side - somewhere from the skimmer or wall of the pool to the pump. Perhaps the water level is low? That or the pump's top lid O-ring may not be sealing good. Perhaps try a bit of silicone on the O-ring. As for tilting, some people have tried tilting the pump a bit while it is running to help encourage any air that may be trapped lower in the pump to raise to the top. But if air seems to reappear after getting it all out at first, then it's finding a sneaky way to get back in from the suction side or pump lid.

The top lid o-ring seems ok, and i also tried to replace it with a new one, but the same.
I don't have a skimmer, and i think everything is ok with the hoses and connections because the smaller pump (330 GPH)
is working ok.

The water level is almost at the maximum level that is recommended. can't fill it up more.

The 530 GPH has a constant water flow now, but is it normal that it's making a lot of water noise at the outlet nozzle
like in the video i posted? https://youtu.be/gM7h8SXpu-k

I did a test where i lifted the return hose a little, and tied that like that, so the outlet nozzle will be a little lower
inside the water, and it's making the water noise almost completely gone.
Here is a video i made:
https://youtu.be/Lw_qRMSnucw

Is that ok to do?

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.