Pump went out. Motor still runs. Help please

Aug 4, 2013
Oklahoma
So, had repair company come out to look, just for that we owe $125.00, have home warranty, they will cover $500.00 of the expenses, the quote for repair is $800.00 and now they've decided to add 3% to the bill for credit card use. Any suggestions? We've been told the motor and pump are older and the replacement pump can't be found. I'm sorry, I'm at work and don't have the name of the brand with me.

It would be good to know what their going to replace it with. It really should be a quality pump for that price not an off name or such. But your not in a great position to negotiate, but it's worth a try. Check their pump cost with what you could find on-line to keep them honest. :)

As far as the fee, I am pretty sure it is legal. We just went through that, I had checked with my CC company.

During our negotiations, it was not discussed, and in fact, it wasn't on our original contract. On an updated contract, the below statement was added. (highlighted because I used the same image in my email in our situation). The builder had changed their policies while we were on the waitlist.
Capture2.jpg

I will take pictures when I get home. At this time they are quoting for a Hayward pump and motor $638.00 not including travel time or labor. They are saying the time they have in so far is 1 & 3/4 hours and their rate is $85.00 an hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See if the warranty company will pay out the amount, order the pump and put it in yourself or have a local electrician put it in. I recently had American Home Shield pay me for a heat pump repair so I could get the contractor of my choice to make the repair.

There are ways to charge a fee, if certain conditions are met. I can't see how this transaction reaches that level. Folks are doing this because customers allow them.

Back to the problem. If the motor runs and the pump doesn't pump, either the shaft has broken, the impeller has sheared a key or the threads.... or rarely, but I have seen it happen..... the motor has malfunctioned and has run (or is running) backwards.... unscrewing the impeller and/or is trying to suck rather than pump.....

We have a home warranty for an extra $150 a year to include our pool because I knew the pump bearings were on their last legs. We had our entire pump replaced this year under the warranty because they could not get replacement parts for the old pump. We have a nice Pentair WhisperFlo now. I won't add the extra $150 for the pool next year since I have a newer heater and pump now. We have made out pretty good over the last 4 years with this home warranty. I'm still waiting for our two A/C units to fail to get them replaced before I won't use the warranty anymore.

We have a home warranty for an extra $150 a year to include our pool because I knew the pump bearings were on their last legs. We had our entire pump replaced this year under the warranty because they could not get replacement parts for the old pump. We have a nice Pentair WhisperFlo now. I won't add the extra $150 for the pool next year since I have a newer heater and pump now. We have made out pretty good over the last 4 years with this home warranty. I'm still waiting for our two A/C units to fail to get them replaced before I won't use the warranty anymore.

Home warranty companies make money. Don't be fooled into thinking you're getting something for free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.