How Clear is Clear Supposed to Be?

john.esher

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Havertown, PA
So tonight in honor of National Night Out I floated in the pool for awhile (until the mosquitoes drive me out) and made a discovery. The water I thought was clear, doesn't seem to be clear enough to see across the pool underwater.

Is this feasible for a pool my size, or am I dreaming?

Here it is this morning, looks clear from the top. Lost 0.2 ppm of FC last night and 0.6 the night before.

b37f7b30534f3c43ea1ce9cf18a8bed7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would submit "yes" you should be able to see the length. I have a 40', and I can see extremely well down the length of my pool with goggles. I have no doubt for the clarity I could see much further if my pool was longer. Might need to look at two things: filtration (last time cleaned/backwashed, etc) or organics in the water which may be waiting on the opportunity to explode into full-bloom.

Perhaps consider posting a full set of numbers for is to review for you? And even though you appear to have done an OCLT, did you also ensure the following:
When performing the OLCT, remember that if must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

Hope this helps.

Ha, yeah! That is my story! I can't see clearly across my pool in or out without my glasses on! I haven't tried putting my glasses on and going underwater for a look. Need to try that. But, it is a very clear blurry view across my pool underwater. I can't imagine my water being any clearer than it is. I have water pics in my build thread in sig.

Your water looks great!

The water/eye interface acts as a lens. Some people see better under water than they do out of the water. Some can't see well at all in the water. I can see perfectly in the pool with a mask on, but not so well when I surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.