First time using a pool vacuum question.

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hi all. I have my first pool and this forum has been really helpful glad I found it. The pool has a bin that has a super vac vacuum in it with the hose and on the other end it has actually a flat plate thing with hole in it versus just hose end to screw into the skimmer. It placed it over the top of the skimmer and it fit into the slimmer basket hole with of course the basket out. It seemed to suction onto it pretty good. However, I put the other super vac end into the pool connected to my skimmer pole and its not sucking up anything. Also I tried filling the hose with water first then doing it but still nothing getting sucked in. What am I doing wrong any idea?

Is your water high enough in the skimmer to cover the whole thing in there? I have found that I do not get a good seal using the plate so I just put the hose end down into the skimmer hole. NOT ideal as the basket skimmer helps traps some of the stuff coming up out of the pool. The pump basket gets the rest but.......

Okay here ya go.

Put the vac head into the water with the hose attached. Push the hose down into the water with the skimmer end floating loose until you get to the loose end. KEEP the loose in IN the water as you take it to the skimmer. Keep the end under water and feed it into the skimmer. THAT should keep the hose filled with water so you do not lose your prime.

You can also put the hose on the vac head and hold the loose end in front of the return and allow the return to push the water into the hose. It will try to raise the vac head as the air is pushed out.

It take some time and puzzling to figure out which way works best for you and your pool.

Let me know if these work or do not work.

Kim

Awesome Kim tx. I did not think if using the return. So once all is connected I assume the super vac end under water I should feel suction right. I am also going to buy some good old fashioned tennis balls and put one in the opposite side skimmer to increase the vac side skimmer. Tx again.

Bean can you please put your pool info in your siggy? Here are the directions. It will help us help you. That way we do not have to keep going back up to see the info we need to give you the best advice.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
What kind/model of water test kit you are using
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Please keep your signature to 5 lines or shorter. Everything above can be stated quit compactly. For example:
19K gal, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. This helps the people answering your questions by providing the basic information that affects nearly all of our recommendations.

To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

Oh and close your other skimmer and main drain will make ALL of the difference with the suction. Do you have valves you can turn to close off your different things?

Kim

Yup Kim and you again just saved me a trip of going to buy a tennis ball to close off the other skimmer lol ;). Yes I have the close valves. I emailed the company that built the pool to figure out the specifics for the sig. I know certain things such as the filter approx 18l gallons etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.