What specific type of extruded polystyrene rigid foam insulation under the pool?

Hi there! I love that you are building a pool for your dogs. I have a boxer that would love to swim with us, but I haven't tackled the issue of dog entry and exit. As for the insulation, if you search for the thread "AGP Padding" you will find some answers. Sorry, I don't know how to add a link to it here.

I used the 1/2" extruded polystyrene 4'x9' sheets from Home depot. I thought it would be to skinny but it works great. I did also put an old nylon carpet under the foam. People said it would really smell with the water splashing all the time. Considering it came from a house where dogs peed all over old carpet ( I left it out side all winter) it worked. My 1 yr old lab pup goes in the pool sometimes on here own. She can't touch the bottom but the foam feels really nice. I tried to be super carefully to not dent the foam while taping it down and then my little herd of goats paraded across it leaving little hoof marks. Oh well I can't feel any dents. It was super hard pulling the liner over the foam, not sure why but it was like the liner suctioned it to the foam.

I got my pool used so it came with used stairs and it makes it easy for the pup to get in the pool but the pup uses the ladder to get out.

Here is a photo of the foam. There are patio blocks under which where hard to find. I did not use any plastic tarp. This took 1 very large roll of Gorrilla 11698577_10200606342318467_1347509986208023119_n_zpsjoohaefh.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

I went with foam thinking it was too hard to haul the sand in a wheelbarrow? Not. It was a hard thing for me to use foam BUT the foam will never wash away when we have gulley washer downpours.

I bought and installed that same pool.. :) it is big.. New above ground oval 18x33 install - Page 2

I used 12 tons of 1 inch crusher run rock first, then 5 tons sand (post #75), then I used 3/4 inch tongue and groove from lowes and taped them together with 3.75 inch gorilla tape, so far I have no gaps at all in the bottom. (post #93) I did not use the tarp.

I probably went way over board with leveling the pool but its within 1/2 inch level on all sides :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.