DE Filter did not put DE in after first backwash few days ago. Problem?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

Okay it's my first pool and I am trying to figure it all out. I have Hayward DE grid filter. Pool company I was using sucks so I decided to take things on my own. I did a backwash on Sunday and then rinse but did not realize I supposed to put DE powder into the skimmer. Luckily this evening I found a bag of it left by the previous owners we just bought the house. It has been filtering a few days now and the PSI today was really low like 7 PSI. First question is am I screwed and caused a possible issue or if first thing my AM get the filter running and add the 4.5 scoops? Tomorrow I am also going to let the air bleed out which I did not do. The low PSI could not adding the DE cause that and or not bleeding out the filter air after the backwash and turning back to filter?

Hoping I did not mess it up but learning the ropes here.

Thanks all

DE Filter missed putting DE in after backwash help

Hello all,

Just got my first pool. Found a bad pool service company so got rid of them and going to try and figure things out on my own. I did my first backwash on Sunday I believe it was where I did the backwash for like 3 minutes it was filthy and the PSI was running around 19 PSI. Once I did that the PSI went down to about 10. Thought great I cleaned it out as there was a lot of brown stuff coming out. Then realized this evening the PSI was around 6 PSI and not filtering great. Did more digging and realized I have to put DE in the skimmer after that process. Luckily I found a bag of it from the previous owner. If it has been running for 2 days or so now without the DE reload is that really possibly bad or will I be okay if I get it in first thing in the AM when the filter starts up? Should I backwash it again or just go with the DE and I also think I should bleed the air from the filter. It seems the low PSI now it's not that efficiently running.

Thanks all

I don't use a DE filter, but I think you will be just fine. You may have to remove your grids and clean them and then recharge the filter. I'm sure the experts will chime in should this be incorrect.

Ignore me and see the post above...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.