4 days into our brand new pool

SteveOB

Silver Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
Marysville, MI
Been reading this awesome forum for about a week. I got a K- 2006 test kit (My next one will TFTest kist) and have been checking levels last three nights. I put the CYA in on Sunday so no results for that for a few more days. Here are my latest results from tonight:

FC: 2
CC: .2
PH: 7.4
TA: 100
CH: 90
CYA: unknown until Sunday

I know the FC is low, but this is the highest it's been the last 3 days and our pool had it' strongest "chlorine" odor by far. Since I don't know the CYA level, is keeping the FC around 2 good enough? I didn't write down how much CYA granules I put in (stupid). And I am using 8.25% bleach for my "chlorine".

I have been lurking and learning a ton. Appreciate any feedback. Oh BTW we filled out pool with "city" water from our house and our neighbors...if that matters. And the pool water looks great, can see the few leaves that are on the bottom haha

If you put cya in but don't remember how much at least estimate it...how much is gone from the container? Enter your pool size in gallons in pool math and check the results of adding cya at the bottom to estimate your current level. Then using the cya/fc chart keep your fc at the target or slightly above. With a CYA of 30 minimum fc is 2 so at your reading you should be adding bleach to get back to 4 or 5 assuming your Cya estimate is 30 as an example.

I bought a 4 lb thing of CYA (granules). I probably put in about 30 oz of CYA, which was too low to start with I know but I was nervous:( redoing the pool math that will only put me at 16 for CYA. I will add some in on Sunday once I get a reading, now that I have full faith in the program here. I did just put in 58 oz of bleach (unscented). That gives me a target of 4. Is there anything to us smelling the bleach stronger? My wife is still a little nervous about pouring bleach in the pool and I am trying to assure her. Thanks for the good advice, I started a log yesterday...my memory is too shot these days.

The smell of chlorine comes from consumed chlorine killing organics. The sun will burn that off. The smell of chlorine is a sign of something being killed. Once your pool passes OCLT you won't smell chlorine. It's a misnomer to think that a pool should have a chlorine smell. It should not.

The smell of chlorine comes from consumed chlorine killing organics. The sun will burn that off. The smell of chlorine is a sign of something being killed. Once your pool passes OCLT you won't smell chlorine. It's a misnomer to think that a pool should have a chlorine smell. It should not.

So I should do a OCLT then, or is this common when your pool first opens?

Depends on how soon you sanitized as to whether there was an opportunity for algae to grow. It knows no timetable. If it were me I'd bring my fc up to slam level of 12 once I had 30 cya and do an OCLT just for peace of mind. The alternative is to just keep fc at target and monitor your CC closely.

First, your CC reading was 0.2. Sounds like you are using a 25ml sample. Try filling only to 10ml and then multiply by 0.5 instead of 0.2. The amount of powder and reagents stay the same.

Second, tell your wife that "bleach" is the same chemical (sodium hypochlorite) that pool stores sell as liquid shock. "Bleach" is actually WEAKER than "liquid shock".

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.