Pool Coping Installation with Concrete Pavers

Aug 1, 2015
Buffalo
i'm embarking on a new project for me.. pool coping using Oak concrete pavers. they are 8" wide by 12" long and 2 3/8" thick. they are being installed on a steel wall inground pool where the steel bond area is 5.5" wide.

coping sits on top of steel wall and overhangs 1". the other 6.5 " of block rests in a bed of mortar.

installation is for northern climate.

first few blocks went down but i can see my mortar is like 3" thick .. i need more gravel so my mortar is thinner. also i forgot to brush on bond agent to underside of paver that is in contact with mortar for these first 9 blocks.. hope they hold.

bond between paver and 5.5" wide steel pool bond beam is made with PL 9000 (because this is the only product i could find that said it is for outdoor use for bonding between concrete & steel, and between concrete and plastic which is the stairs). this glue goes down in two beads, 3/8" thick.

after coping is set up and leveled, i put a monster block on top to weigh it down so glue doesn't move paver during cure process.

i'm leaving 3/8 to 1/2" gap for grouting. but i 'm not sure what product to use for grouting? i was thinking mortar + bonding agent in icing cake bag.. not sure if this will work for the couple of caps that are very small around 1/8".

IMG_1933.jpgIMG_1931.jpg

I wish I could help you. I'll :bump: your thread to see if we can generate more advice.

thx for the bump. i got some advice in diychatroom dot com so i think i have a good plan now. the attachment to the steel frame with special glue was recommended by local pro. the end sitting on mortar was something i picked up watching youtube vids.
i will be grouting the gaps with Mapei S and using a fortifier for larger gaps along with some binding stainless steel wire. grout to be sealed when fully dry maybe 2 or 3 days later. i'm finding it hard to get the free time to work on this project but its been a lot of fun seeing patio come together albeit slowly.

i'll post some pics when its done :)

For pavers I would use a backer rod and sanded silicone caulk. You can google limestone parapet wall caulking for more details.

Caulk is available in any color you can imagine. It is suitable for between pavers and the joint between the steel deck and pavers. The caulk will flex with the steel and is waterproof unlike mortar.

When applying tape the edges of the seam and tool the caulk with a wet caulking knife. If it gets on the paver surface it will be there for a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.