No CYA - Help

Aug 4, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Recently decided to use a pool service but...

My pool is in-ground, about 28k gallons, with a sand filter. First service group convinced me I needed to change our water; which we did. The service provider then told us the water change was not enough and we needed to change our sand filter to a cartridge for $1500 or algae would immediately return. We did not change the filter (sand filter about 4 years old and functioning properly) but brought on a second service company. Second company recommended sand change and will not start service until pool is clear.

Unfortunately, my pool is cloudy. I can see the deep end bottom (9') but it is cloudy. The big issue is the pool cannot maintain chlorine. Which I understand has to do with the CYA level in your pool. Both the first and second service provider claimed to have added stabilizer; however, when I test the water I don't find any stabilizer. I had a very small leak on the return side of the filter which I fixed. Is there any other reason the pool would lose Cyanuric Acid? Or have we simply not added enough? (Sorry but I have no idea what they added- only know they "added")

Should I run for a few months with tabs to increase the CYA? Or just add a bunch and run with liquid chlorine?

Thanks for the help,

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

As you continue to read, you will see that everything we teach begins and ends with precise testing. Making the commit to learn how to manage your pool and do your own precision testing is a big one but we will help.

There is no way we can give you meaningful advice without meaningful test results. (A pic would help, too)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.