Storing chemicals

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I thought I had a good idea, but now I'm not so sure. We put a small shed out behind the pool for the pump/filter/plumbing (everything except the heater) and storage (pool toys, extra chairs, etc.). At that time I had no intention of doing my own water maintenance, but now I'm totally on that path. So, I figured the shed would be perfect for storing chemicals and supplies.

We've now had a string of hot, sunny days, and I've noticed that it's even hotter inside the shed. I put a digital thermometer in there today and this afternoon it reads 105°. I'm thinking it may not be a good idea to put some of my chemicals in there.

Here's what I've got:
- liquid chlorine in a 2.5 gal refillable container from the pool store
- a gallon jug of muriatic acid
- part of a bag of calcium chloride flakes
- some boxes of baking soda
- a box of 20 Mule Team Borax
- a box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
- a TF-100 test kit

Right now the only thing on that list that's been in the hot shed is the chlorine, which I'm taking out today. Any thoughts on the other stuff? What's stable, what's volatile, and what would break down or spoil?

Boy, can I relate to what Woody just said. I made the fatal mistake of storing acid in my shed with shelving and 4 bikes. Duhh! Now I keep the acid in a Rubbermaid container in the shade outside away from everything. All other chemicals and test kit I keep in our laundry room like any other given day - of course with more bleach. :)

Wow, this all REALLY good to know! Just by luck, I've had the chlorine in the outside shed, the MA and the dry chems in the garage, and the test kit in a cabinet on my deck in the shade. My MA bottle is now out of the garage (away from the new car!) in a very well-ventilated and shady area, and the chlorine is is outside in the shade quite a ways away. BTW, my MA bottle just looks like an ordinary 1-gallon jug, similar to a bleach jug. I don't see anything about it that would allow it to outgas.

Yeah, that MA is a sneaky bugger. Keep it far away until you need it and you'll be happier for it. Make sure the test kit is in a controlled environment too. Not sure how hot it gets under your deck shade, but mine is still an oven. Woo! I keep my reagents in the A/C.

Summary
Muriatic acid outside in shady place
Bleach/chlorine inside laundry room or pantry preferred or garage
Test kit inside in air conditioning
Dry stuff like CYA anywhere

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.