Opening my own pool - first time.

Jul 28, 2015
Ottawa
I just finished filling my 30, 000 gallon cement / chlorine pool with fresh city water after having it professionally renovated and painted. I now want to treat the water to get it ready for swimming. Many stores sell pool opening "kits". Are these types of kits the best bet for giving the water its first treatment and getting it to the correct pH, alkalinity and chlorine? Or is there a cheaper option by simply purchasing separate amounts of pool chemicals to service 30,000 gallons prior to using the recommended steady state of chlorine pucks in my chlorine dispenser?

Thanks for any advice. Sailorstu

Welcome the TFPC!! You've come to the right place if you want to take control of your pool and it's needs.

Just purchase a proper testkit. Look at http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison for good ones. I would suggest, either K-2006C or TF-100.
Then use Pool Math to figure out what your pool is asking for.

The beauty of TPC is we use simple things that you can mostly find at the grocery store or the hardware store. Bleach or another source of chlorine, muriatic acid if your pH is too high. And CYA, which is stabilizer for the chlorine. The majority of the time that's about it.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a lot of information available in Pool School that you are going to want to read.

Work through it and ask questions!!

Hello Sailorstu, and welcome to TFP.

My advice would be, don't add anything from pool store and DON'T let them test your water.

Get a good test kit (like the TF100) and test your own water.

Check out Pool School, ther are all kinds of helpful tips on opening and new pools.

But hang on, the pros will be right behind me with a wealth of advice. Ask all the questions you like and again welcome:wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.