Do I have a Bad Cell?

wkusae31

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Lexington, KY
Hey everyone. I may have a complete cell failure. I have Inspect Cell and Low Salt light flashing and my salt reading is 800.

Here is what has happened the last few months:

1. About 1.5 months ago, I had Low Salt and Inspect Cell light. I cleaned cell and added salt. Everything was fine.
2. Two weeks ago, my current limiter went out in the motherboard. I replaced. Everything was fine.
3. Two days ago, salt reading went down to 1600.
4. Yesterday, I got the above error.

The cell is about 3 years old, but the previous owners of the home and pool were not very bright. I doubt the cell got it's regular cleaning and was never removed and stored for the winter. I've researched the topics at TFP and on Google and believe my cell has gone bad, but before I order a new T-15, I wanted to see if there was one last ditch item that I am forgetting to do?

Test results:
Salt: 3400
pH: 7.5
FC: 5
CYA: 80
TA: 60

What do the blades in the cell look like? Are they worn and pitted?

Most franchise pool stores can test cells and let you know if that's the problem. I'd take it by one if it's not to far out of your way and see what they say.

I went ahead and ordered a new Hayward T-cell; however, I may have made a big goof. I have a Hayward T-Cell-15, but the one that came is a Hayward GLX-T-Cell-15-W. I'm having trouble finding documentation about whether or not this is acceptable replacement? Can anyone let me know what the difference is?

Also, after I installed this new one, I am getting the same error messages: Continuous "Inspect Cell" and Continuous "Low Salt".

Edit: My amps is 0.0. Voltage is 32.4. I guess it's not generating any chlorine.

Edit #2: I spoke to Hayward technical support and they said that the T-Cell-15 and GLX-15-W are same. They also told me that I needed to run the cell and pump for 24 hours before my readings would be accurate. Is that correct advice about running it for 24 hours?

The 15-W is a warranty cell with a one year warranty vs a three year warranty on a regular cell. Otherwise, it's the exact same cell.

You have to reset the average salt by going to the instant and moving the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto.

James: Thanks for your response and help. I did reset the average salt reading, but it still gave me that message (when I first installed). I just went back and pulled the white cord from the motherboard and pushed it back. I watched it for about 15 minutes and no error messages. I'm wondering if my motherboard is not making good connection with my cell plug. I had to pull out motherboard a few weeks ago to change out current limiter. I pushed the plug until it has hit the metal casing and cannot be pushed in any further. I'm wondering if that wasn't the cause of my issue, in the first place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.