Ecostar vs Intelliflo

Aug 3, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi everyone - first time poster here.

I have a pool that has a negative edge and connected spa. It has three pumps - negative edge, pool filter, and spa jets - all Hayward non-variable speed and connected with an OnCommand system I had put in about a year and a half ago. The OnCommand currently allows me to turn the pool lights on/off, turn the heater on/off, divert the filter pump to the spa to heat it via actuators, and the ability to turn the negative edge pump on/off.

The pool filter pump recently died and my pool person, along with several other local pool people, all seem to be recommending the Pentair Intelliflo over the Hayward Ecostar citing they see far fewer problems with Pentair vs. Hayward pumps. My concern however, is that it seems I will lose some critical functionality by mixing manufacturers and I'm looking for additional data points from others.

I am sort of a set it and forget it type of person and don't feel like I would be constantly tinkering with different speeds. What I do want however is to be able to run the filter pump at high speeds for a couple hours then ratchet it back to low speed for an extended period. I'd also like to be able to run it at full speed when heating the spa. My pool guy has indicated I don't have any spare relays left on my OnCommand system.

Is what I am looking to do doable using a Pentair pump with an OnCommand system? Considering I just bought the OnCommand not too long ago I'd hate to not be able to leverage important functionality but the negative feedback I'm hearing regarding the Ecostar also has me spooked.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I cant answer your question about Controlling the intelliflo with the OnCommand. I dont know if you could ever get it to work or not.

As for your other comments about different speeds etc.
You can set the pump to run up to 4 different speeds with the onboard controller. You can also set up a program using speeds (1-4) and program start and stop times for each speed to determine how long you want each speed to run. It doesnt have to be 1>2>3>4.. it can be any combination. I really only run mine 2 speeds. 1 for regular filtering, and the other speed for moving enough water to prevent Low Flow alarm on my saltwater generator. Really dont need the other speeds unless you are running other things like waterfalls, solar heating or whatever that require different flow rates.

As for runnig it on high when heating the spa, without the OnCommand, it would be a matter pushing 1 button on the pump. Then push stop button and it goes back to its regular program.

Im nearing the end of my second year with an intelliflo, and I love the thing. No problems at all and its super quiet.

Thanks for the reply. One of the reasons I had the automation put in is due to the pump location being very inconveniently located for manual operation. I guess the question becomes is the Intelliflo such a better pump than the Ecostar that it is worth forgoing the automation which I paid for a year and a half ago? My pool guy seems to think so based on his experiences.

Yeah,
I suppose an inconvenient pump location would be problematic. Certainly understandable.

There have been quite a few reports here on TFP about the EcoStar VS pump having problems of one sort or another.
Not so much with the intelliflo. Thats just purely recollection from reading lots of posts though.

I have an intelliflo, and so I suppose I am biased.

Ive actually never even seen an Ecostar, so Im probably not the best source of info on it at all.
Im sure there are lots of folks that have them and love them.

I really wish I could be of more help.

I'm not any help here other than another person with an Intelliflo who loves it. 3 years of outstanding performance. No idea if Oncommand could control the Intelliflo or not. But, you don't need a relay in the Oncommand to control the Intelliflo. The Intelliflo should be hardwired direct to a breaker and use the low voltage control cable to connect to Oncommand to control the pump speed. Seems like there is a chance that the Oncommand could control the pump if there is any similarity in program language. But, I don't know for sure and I would not be surprised if it didn't work, there doesn't seem to be a lot of compatibility between manufacturers and everyone mostly uses same branded equipment. You could be the TFP test guy! :)

Also, I would think that Hayward's VS pump would be fine, they make good products.

I would stick with one manufacturer as well. I work in IT, but it applies to most anything. As soon as you mix it up and call one of them for support, guess where the problem is likely to apply until you have gone back and forth a few times to prove where the problem really is?

Also, as stated above by pooldv and the Intelliflo, the Ecostar also doesn't use a relay and is connected directly to the breaker and a comm cable to control it.

I like my Ecostar, but will qualify that with the info that I've only owned it about four months so far.

I'm a month into running my IntelliFlo...I hope I can speak as Dave has in 2 years. The only bad thing about Pentair, in general, is their 'DIY' warranty of 60 stinkin' days. I dunno about Hayward and their DIY warranty.

I'm a month into running my IntelliFlo...I hope I can speak as Dave has in 2 years. The only bad thing about Pentair, in general, is their 'DIY' warranty of 60 stinkin' days. I dunno about Hayward and their DIY warranty.
That's why I paid a "qualified installer" to connect mine....three year warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.