Coping over auto cover, pavers vs.concrete?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I feel like a have a new question every day - thank goodness you are so willing to help a newbie!

We are close to the stage in the build where the PB is almost ready to pour concrete. We've decided to have the area around the pool done with pavers rather than stamped concrete. I've read many of the past threads on this site regarding pavers vs. concrete for the deck, and I feel there is a lot of support for pavers.

But I haven't seen this issue addressed (my apologies for the repeat if I missed it): We're getting an auto cover and the track for it is already installed along the lip of the pool. Our PB tells us we have to have "cantilevered concrete" poured on top of the track, 3.5" thick all around the pool. We brought up the idea of using pavers as coping instead, and he was against it. He said there would always be problems with stones coming loose and falling into the pool.

Does anyone have experience with paving stones used as coping over an auto cover track? Will it work for some auto covers but not others? The company constructing and installing the cover is Pennco, if that helps.

Generally when you use pavers for the pool deck, you enter use a solid stone for the coping, or use pavers for the coping but mortar them to the edge of the pool so they don't move.
However, witha fiberglass pool, I have no idea how that work. I'd defer to the builder.

The PB's I've interviewed so far all said they still pour the concrete lock ring around the pool, but even with the fiberglass coping. Then they use PL style adhesive to glue the paver coping to the fiberglass and concrete.

No clue how it works, but it sure sounds like repairing a loose coping paver would be easy enough should it ever become an issue.

ac

Not sure how they do this in NJ .. but we are building one with Coverstar autocover. After shotcrete, they put the aluminum tracks on the concrete and then they put the coping on top (travertine, in our case). The coping overhangs by 1/4 inch.. not more than that.
Coverstar calls this "Encapsulated" track... You can check some photos in our build (link in sig)

Avc8130, what do you mean by a "concrete lock ring"? None of the contractors we've talked to has mentioned that.

With a fiberglass pool you have to pour a concrete ring around the pool encapsulating the coping.

ever_flo_diagram-resized-600.bmp

What are the contractors you have spoken to suggesting? You might want to call the manufacturer of your pool to discuss a PROPER installation technique to make sure they will honor the warranty...

ac

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.