CYA Question

Well, while a MS in Chemestry helps, I can attest to the fact that is poor folks with only a HS diploma can figure it out. But, I admit for the big words I wait for Chem Geek to chime in!

Yes, as Richard said, just stay away from squeezing the sock. You want to avoid concentrated chemical, but when dissolved in water the CYA is no problem. Even water in the area of the sock saturated with CYA is not a problem; you simply couldn't drink enough to be an issue.

1) no kids to worry about. 2) I'm a diy'er I don't mind working and reading about things as long as I'm moving forward and not just staying still. 3) I go out about every 3 to 4 hours and squeeze the sock so that it does dissolve quicker...is that a no no ? Which at this point is about fully dissolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just wanting to make sure i was reading this correctly that for a SWG pool that i should be running my CYA at about 70 ppm because when i checked it last it was about 35 ppm which was still low.

Go ahead and squeeze away.

SWCG pool 70 is great. Wait for a,week for the CYA to show up on tests.

A little closer on your location will help us give you better advice. The U.S. Is a big country with many climate zones.......

Yeah, the avoiding the sock comment was just about not having kids play with it so that they squeeze it right near their eye. With your hands, there is no problem. CYA is a weak acid where a saturated solution only gets down to a pH of 5.3 in buffered pool water (even in distilled water it only gets down to around 4.0). The pH of 5.3 is similar to that of black coffee while a pH of 4.0 is still higher than that of sodas and grapefruit and tomato juices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I honestly hate this area, because there is no jobs, I've been jobless for over a year and still have not gotten any callbacks from any employers. Also being 30 miles from the water kinda sucks if you like to fish. And this rain is the major culprit of all my pool issues. everytime it starts lighting up the sky you have to unplug the pump so you dont lose it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.