Stable TFP all of the sudden cloudy and greenish

Backyardchemist

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Northern Vermont
Hi folks,

I am a 7+ year TFP user ... I love you guys! You have saved me tons of money and helped me help the whole neighborhood switch to @ home pool management. I know I'm responsible for at least 3 TF-100 Test kit sales, so I have the economic proof that I preach the gospel.

The problem I could use your insight on:

Pool is cloudy and green-ish despite numbers all being stable. Well, stable except after a lot of rain my TA dropped to 40 which has never happened before. As soon as I realized it I corrected the problem. Now after 1 week I am still looking at a cloudy pool.

Here are my numbers/pool specs:

IG Vinyl 25,000
FC:7
CC:0
TA:70
PH: 7.2
CYA: 55-60

In full confession, I have for years used a non polyquat algicide adding 1-2 Tablespoons a week during our short Vermont pool season. With the stable chlorine & green pool I added about a half cup thinking that would clear the problem, but as you can see below it didn't.

Aside from vacuuming the pool, cleaning the filters, and keeping check on the chemicals, any other thoughts on what might be at issue?

Thanks so much in advance for all of your assistance!

-Backyardchemist

Well, honestly, the info you stated indicates a SLAM. The rain won't have much effect on anything. It's simply a matter of your FC not keeping-up with the CYA - at least at some point. True, an FC of 7 is the target for a CYA of 60, but perhaps at some point it fell low enough (just long enough) to let the cloudiness take-hold. It doesn't take much in the summer. I would recommend a Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Make sure read ALL te directions on that page. No skipping anything. :)

Overdosing an algaecide or a clarifier can cloud a pool so you probably ended up making the problem worse. If the algaecide were Polyquat, then that is a mild clarifier itself so probably would have helped clear the pool. What algaecide did you use exactly?

If you've got any algae (i.e. if that is what is green or part of the cloudiness) then a SLAM is in order to kill it off completely. Then brushing and circulation/filtration. Hopefully the chemical overdosing didn't create a colloid in the pool (i.e. similar to milk) or you'll have a heck of a time getting rid of that in any filter without careful coagulation.

Thanks Texas Splash & chem geek. I'll admit ... it's been a so long since I've had to address something like this, when last I looked a SLAM was simply still referred to as a shock. :)

So you have it, here's the algaecide I used:IMG_2107 (2).JPG

Also, I agree, following ALL of the steps will save me headaches later. Off to put two more gallons of chlorine in the pool! Thanks for your feedback.

-BYC

"Make sure read ALL the directions on that page. No skipping anything. :)"

Just sending along an update ... I'm back on track. FC is stable at shock level @19 with no overnight loss. Looking bluer already,BUT point taken. Cleaning filters/vacuuming/testing daily. Hopefully we'll be back to normal by the weekend.

That said, I've never really known what a safe FC level is for swimming. If pool is clear and stable at what FC level can we go in?

Thanks for all your help!

-Backyardchemist

@ Pooldv: "Much easier (and cooler) to brush the pool while IN the pool!"

Brilliant! I will vacuum with my suit on this afternoon! Have a good weekend all ... I can see the skim drain in the deep end clearly this morning so all is right in the backyard again.

-Backyardchemist

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.