Backwashing Frequency

spaige

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I was wondering if anyone could point me to an article or give advice on the frequency of backwashing. When I backwash my filter the psi reads 17. I have rarely, if ever, seen my psi reach 27 which seems to be the suggested psi for backwashing. Although around 23 or so I do have very dirty water coming from my discharge pipe when I do backwash. Currently I have not backwashed in 3 weeks or more and my psi is just below 20; this even after adding D.E. to the filter to help with filtration. I have heard and read that you need to backwash once a week or when you pressure reaches 10psi over normal. I'm not sure my psi will ever reach 27! Right now my pool is clearer than it has ever been thanks to this forum. How should I approach backwashing is my question. Thanks.

You do not need to backwash weekly. The more you let debris accumulate the better your filter will work, as long as it is not so clogged that your water flow is bogged down. Sometimes 10psi is too high a goal. 23 might be your number. But like I said, it's all about water flow. There's nothing wrong with a three week interval or longer if the pressure is still low and the pump is doing it's thing.

I do have some customers, especially with indoor installations, who never see a 5 psi increase, never mind 10. For them I tend to backwash once every month and a half or so just to prevent any channeling or caking up under the laterals.

I notice a decrease in flow from the returns long before I see a 10psi increase. I usually backwash after vacuuming, but I try to minimize backwashing because I have a well with high TA water. Whenever the water level gets too high from rain, I take advantage and backwash then.

The water I trucked in to fill my pool was about 250ppm TA. I will probably have to add water this year to get it back up with the rainwater dilution this past winter. It actually wasn't hard to lower. I stayed on the pH and aerated to get it down to 180, and it was easy enough to live with it there. Rainwater took care of the rest of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.