a way to use a water level tool for leveling ground for a rectangle pool???

Jul 24, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
we we have a 12'x24'x52" Intex pool that we just took down. Time to do it right, lol. I found a nifty tool mentioned in a past TFP post about using a water level. I've got an idea of how to apply this tool. Would appreciate your feedback as to the soundness of this idea...

1. Stake off the perimeter of the general area using at least 15" stakes (I'm thinking three stales on each side). Make sure to allow for the space needed but the legs & support stones!
2. Fill a milk jug with water & add red dye, insert a 30' tube of 1/2" or 3/4" clear tubing about 1" broom the bottom, making sure to seal the insertion point into the jug.
3. Select a stake, stretch the tubing to it. Make a mark on the stake AND on the jug. (From that point, it's just a matter of moving the tube to the remaining stakes & marking them where they are level with the mark on the jug. Is this the right way?)
4. Measure the distance on each stake from the mark to the ground. The difference would be the amount of earth I have to remove from the hig end at the point it enters the ground. (Does this sound logical?)

I'm sure there are more steps to follow and some things (or a lot, lol) that I've missed in the above process. Would greatly appreciate your constructive feedback :?

When I built my parents above ground pool years ago I just used a string between stakes and leveled the string with a long level. I then just measured down to the ground with a tape measure.

I made mine from two car jack stands, a garden hose, silver tape and two test tubes with scales on them. See pic. Worked great for leveling my pavers and ground, within a few milimeters. Same pool as you have, now filling!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 192
The easiest way to do a 12' wide rectangular pool would be to burry 4-4s or landscaping timbers level and parallel 12' apart and use them as guides. You can do it with just a level. Star by figuring out your low point. Dig a small trench to put the 2 4"-4"-12' board down to run 24' , make sure that it is level. Do the same thing on the other side , make sure that it is level to your other board by running a 12' board across and using a level. Once you have the parallel level guides in the rest is fool proof.

No need for a milk jug, or for coloring (in my opinion)

You can see clear water just fine. I love the idea of using the jack stands - that's perfect. Zip tie, tape, or clamp the tubing to the two stands, and put them next to each other on a level surface. Draw a line on the tubing where the water lines up. Put one stand on your lowest paver - that's your "control". Dig the other pavers down until when you put the other jack stand on the paver, the water level lines up with the mark.

When you fill your tube, make sure you have no bubbles trapped in it.

-dave

Just finished filling the pool. Pretty awesome leveling if I may say so! The water is perfectly aligned with the liner seam all around the pool. Doubt that a laser transit would have yielded a better result. Also, DIY is more fun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 126
I used mason's line and a line level. Ran the mason's line all lengthwise cross-wise and diagonally.
Did a sanity check with a 12 ft. straight board. The key for me was check and re-check everything.
Water level would be even better :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.