Intex SWG not maintaining FC levels

Pne123

Aug 11, 2014
Anderson, ca
So i get my pool dialed in and then my chlorine levels slowly drop to null. My SWG is not throwing any error codes, when on it is producing bubbles in the water so it is creating chlorine and i have it running 6 hrs a nite per the manual.
My CYA are currently low but when last checked this was not the case.

FC 0.5
CC .05
TC 1
Ch 125
Ph 8.2
Ta 180
CYA 40
Salt 3000ppm

I am going add, per the pool calc, 41 ox of bleach to get FC back up to 6.
24 oz of Stabilizer
8 lbs of salt to get back to 32ppm
Ph and TA is currently high. Not sure how to lower them. Never had that problem before.

The pool has been getting a lot of use and it has been HOT here, 110+. The chlorine might be just burning off faster than being created.

You can lower TA and PH with muriatic acid (focus on PH more right now though). I suspect your SWG cannot keep-up with the FC demand based on that low CYA (lack of protection). Your FC was definitely low. Hopefully the water is clear. If not, you might need to do a SLAM. But if the water is good, then definitely raise that CYA and check it again in about one week once it has time to register.

- - - Updated - - -

After the adjustments, if you keep losing chlorine (FC), do an OLCT to ensure there are no organics in the water. Also, remember that by nature an SWG can increase PH simply by creating aeration (bubbles). :)

Water is perfectly clear. Will be adding muriatic, bleach and cya this evening. I have been trying to sneak up on my levels so i do not over shoot. But as soon as the levels were about right I would leave for a week and when i get home FC is 0 but the water is still clear. Nothing planned for a while so hopefully I will get it all set right and the SWG can work as it should.

Are you sure that your CC is at 0.5 and not higher?
It sounds like something is eating up your chlorine.
I only say this because I also have a 16x48 inch pool and am running the Intex SWG as well.
I was running the SWG at 5 hours per day but my FC levels were shooting up beyond a FC of 9 each day when tested in the mornings.
I have since backed off to 4 hours per day and am holding at a nice steady 7 for FC.
This is also with a CYA of 80, a CC of 0.0 and about 2-3 hours a day of kids playing in the pool at 84 degree water.
I run the SWG between the hours of 4pm and 8pm each day to replenish what is lost to the day's usage and provide plenty of chlorine to eat any organics in the water overnight.

Oops, reread Op's first post and misread CC levels as 0.5 not 0.05.
Maybe the SWG is just working too hard and can't keep up.
The difference between his 7,000 and my 15,000 gallon model SWG could be a factor.
I don't have to run mine as long to achieve the same FC levels.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.