New pool owners-Salt water pool help!!!!

Moates

Aug 3, 2015
Wilmington/NC
Hello! We recently moved into a home with a pool. We have an above ground salt water pool that operates on a Hayward System. We have already had to have the salt cell replaced (less than a year old), We had a case of black algae that I think I cleared up, and now we have some type of stain on the liner. I tried the vitamin c tabs to see if it was a metal staining but it didn't respond to them. We also can't get our Chlorine level up when testing. I'm very frustrated because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.... help please!!!!

Welcome to TFP.

Add bleach to get the chlorine level up to target asap. It sounds like there is algae growing in the pool consuming algae as fast as the SWG is producing it. To kill the algae for good you need to follow this process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

If you are unsure about algae in the pool you can raise FC up above 10 and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic material in the pool consuming chlorine.

Here are a couple of handy pages to check out,
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

your chlorine levels are not going up because your cell cannot overcome the algae bloom in your pool. you will need to get one of the recommended test kits (see my signature) and then follow the SLAM procedure to rid your pool of algae. this is not a one and done shock treatment.

once your pool is free of algae, your cell will do a good job to HOLD your chlorine levels, but they do not create enough chlorine to overcome/defeat algae. you will need liquid bleach/chlorine for that. once you do the SLAM and then maintain your chlrine per your CYA (see link in signature) you should never have to SLAM again

p.s. I had the EXACT same issue when I bought my house and took over the pool. thought it was the cell's fault, it was algae. you can have algae without your pool being green, water can look pretty clear and you can have a bloom starting. gotta SLAM

Thanks! Would that be would the "staining" is on the bottom of the pool? I tried to scrub it and tried the Vit. C test and it wouldn't budge?!?!?! When you refer to liquid bleach, do you mean regular household bleach?

Megan

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply! Could the algae be what the "staining" is on the bottom of the pool? I will definitely read the pages you mentioned. Just add regular household bleach?

Megan

Yes, regular household bleach. I see you started another thread. It's usually prudent to keep all the info in one place. Don't worry, your questions will be answered, but we all have day jobs too :)

I suggest you read up on how to SLAM your pool. First step is to get a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit so you can reliably monitor your chlorine levels. In the meantime, add about a half gallon to one gallon of bleach each night to keep the algae from getting worse.

Remember that you can't start the slam until you have one of the recommended test kit, other tests kit can't read the level of FC that you need for the slam, follow the slam articule to the T.

Once you have your recommended kit post all the results here and then you will have a good start, good luck

Bleach! Like at Walmart! Store brand=Greater Value plain, unscented bleach.

IF you have a pool store that sells liquid chlorine you can use that also but you are going to need a LOT and the bleach will be much easier to get. You need to start with at least 10 jugs. Make sure it is 8.25%.

From now on you will only be using bleach to get and keep your FC up.

Let us know when you get your test kit.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.