DE alternative.

I don't use salt, but I do use the cellulose DE replacement. I'm happy with it. When it hits pressure to backwash, don't delay. Pressure will start climbing really fast after that. The stuff really clings to the grids, too. I generally open up the filter after the backwash and blast the screens in place with a hose and then backwash again to finish the job, and then add the full amount of media. It's not a big headache, since it's at most a twice a year job for me.

Ditto to what Richard says. Pressure slowly climbs from clean to backwash pressure then boom! I think the cellulose starts degrading and really clumps up. I do a full clean on the filter each time. Unfortunately for me it's every 6-8 weeks.

What brand cellulose do you use? I have a screened pool, not much muck in the pool at all so I would expect a longer time than 6 - 8 weeks. I've been using Jacks Magic Fiber from Pinch a Penny at about $10 for a 18oz bag - just enough for one refill on my Hayward DE3620

The zeofiber de alternative works fantastic. Water is sparkling clear best it has looked all summer. I have been fighting a algae problem this summer and that's to all the helpful links and advice I have seen here on this site we now have rid the algae from the pool and have awesome looking water and are on the BBB method. * doing the happy dance*

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I bought the Ecoklean because that is all I could find locally. I love everything about using the cellulose over the DE. The water looks better, it is easier to work with and better for the environment.

Not to thread jack but does anyone know how long before it starts breaking down? Does it need to be replenished in the filter after a time?

The cellulose seems to start breaking down after about six months. What I've observed is that the filter runs normal for a long period of time and the pressure slowly increases as it gets dirty. And when it hits the magic 25% rise, I must backwash. Even putting it off for a week or two until a more convenient time is too long. The pressure will climb another 25% in that time and the flow turns to nothing. And it doesn't backwash out well at that point. It gets gooey and really clings to the grids. I think at that point it's started decomposing.

Why cellulose and not DE? DE doesn't decompose. It's also a breathing hazard after it dries. I backwash onto the lawn and let the cellulose break down and fertilize things. And if I ever choose to discharge into the street and get in trouble, my defense is that it's just high-grade sawdust.

My own experience with cellulose was far less positive than those of the other posters. Once I get past the initial spring cleanup, I need to backwash my DE filter about every 8 weeks. This is based on 10 years experience. However, 3 years back I got the biodegradable bug and tried cellulose (I forget the brand). After 7 backwashes in 3 weeks, that experiment ended. It was simply the worst of both worlds - more expensive and more work. That's a combination I can do without.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have also been using EcoKlean for about three months now and am quite happy with it so far. It was a very noticeable and positive difference in the clarity of the pool for me. I see noticeably less particulates visible in front of the lights at night (This used to drive me crazy).

After a teardown and cleaning for the conversion and backwash at about a week and a half I haven't had to do much else with it. I don't need to 'bump' the filter. It is supposed to filter down to 2 micron vs. 3-5 micron for DE.

A word of caution, stay far away from (you should not be using these anyway) clarifiers, phosphate removers or any additive for that matter. They will instantly gum up the cellulose and drive up your pressure. And you will be looking at a filter teardown and cleaning.

The beauty and variety of diatoms in their natural state was one of the reasons I got interested enough to take Microbiology as a degree. Their cell walls are made of silicon dioxide, very resistant to breakdown and perfect for fossilization. Pool DE is probably harvested from deposits that have been there for millions of years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.