Rinse or Backwash?

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
I'm wondering what the difference is between rinse and backwash?

I've been having an issue where I'll notice that after my filter has been running for a while my return water pressure is really low, but I'll backwash (or sometimes rinse) and it'll be back to a good flow.

Any ideas what could be causing that?

Thank you!

Backwash reverses the flow through the sand but instead of the dirty water coming out into the pool, it exits via the waste pipe. Rinse puts water through the right direction but instead of returning it to the pool, it goes out the waste pipe.

Pressure dropping after a backwash is what's supposed to happen. Dropping after a rinse doesn't make sense.

There are some good illustrations on how a sand filter works in Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

You should always perform a rinse after a backwash before going back to the regular filtration setting. If you don't, any remaining junk released from the sand that is still in the tank gets pumped directly into your pool. The rinse flushes it out first.

I'm wondering what the difference is between rinse and backwash?

I've been having an issue where I'll notice that after my filter has been running for a while my return water pressure is really low, but I'll backwash (or sometimes rinse) and it'll be back to a good flow.

Any ideas what could be causing that?

Thank you!
When you say "my return pressure is low" do you mean the force of the water returning to the pool is low, or that the pressure gauge on the filter is reading low.

If you are referring to the flow of water back into the pool this is normal behavior, and it means your filter is doing it's job. As the (sand) filter collects dirt & debris from your pool the water flow becomes obstructed from the dirt thus reducing overall flow. When you backwash it flows water backwards, upsetting the sand and forcing out the dirt through the waste port. After a backwash it is required that you rinse the sand to settle it back into place and get the last little bit of dirt.

For my setup I backwash for 2.5 to 3 minutes, then rinse for 30-45 seconds.

Make sure the pump is OFF when you switch from Filter to Backwash/Rinse (or anytime you move that valve), and only rotate one direction to prevent damaging the gaskets inside.

Dom

When you say "my return pressure is low" do you mean the force of the water returning to the pool is low, or that the pressure gauge on the filter is reading low.

If you are referring to the flow of water back into the pool this is normal behavior, and it means your filter is doing it's job. As the (sand) filter collects dirt & debris from your pool the water flow becomes obstructed from the dirt thus reducing overall flow. When you backwash it flows water backwards, upsetting the sand and forcing out the dirt through the waste port. After a backwash it is required that you rinse the sand to settle it back into place and get the last little bit of dirt.

For my setup I backwash for 2.5 to 3 minutes, then rinse for 30-45 seconds.

Make sure the pump is OFF when you switch from Filter to Backwash/Rinse (or anytime you move that valve), and only rotate one direction to prevent damaging the gaskets inside.

Dom

Yes, I mean the water returning to the pool is low.

My pressure gauge is currently not working on my sand filter (I'm in the process of getting a new one).

How often should I backwash? If I were to backwash for 3 minutes I feel like I would loose a lot of water out of my pool...

Yes, I mean the water returning to the pool is low.

My pressure gauge is currently not working on my sand filter (I'm in the process of getting a new one).

How often should I backwash? If I were to backwash for 3 minutes I feel like I would loose a lot of water out of my pool...
You should be backwashing when your filter pressure rises 20-25%. Put the gauge replacement at the top of your "to do" list.

Everyone's pool is different, I'm not suggesting that you backwash for 3 minutes.

When I backwash only 1-2 minutes I'm doing it every 6-10 days, when I go about 3 minutes I can make it almost 3 weeks before I have to backwash. For me that's less water out of the pool because I backwash less frequently.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.