Update--I now have crystal clear water with full visibility to the bottom. As blue as it can be!!! I honestly never thought this day would come. Even though I know many on the forum aren't fans, the trick for me seemed to be alum. I added 40 pounds. The water instantly began to clear, and the only real problem is that for some reason very little of this settled to the bottom. It stubbornly floated on top of the water for 3 days. I have been scooping dozens of pounds of yellow goop off the top with a skimmer net. The filter, with help from DE added, seems to be catching everything now. I would love to hear opinions on whether or not to change sand in the filter. Many thanks to all on this forum--what a great resource!

Did you take a pic of the stuff on the top of the water?

What did it look like? foamy? oily?

Did it smell?

How did it feel?

Where did you put it after you scooped it out and what did it do when it was dry?

For me I would think about changing the sand or at the very least doing a GOOD deep clean to make sure it is not nasty for the stuff.

Good job!

Kim

Did you take a pic of the stuff on the top of the water?

What did it look like? foamy? oily?

Did it smell?

How did it feel?

Where did you put it after you scooped it out and what did it do when it was dry?

For me I would think about changing the sand or at the very least doing a GOOD deep clean to make sure it is not nasty for the stuff.

Good job!

Kim

It was clearly congealing--so it looked like blobs. All yellow, a little frothy, almost like a watered-down yellow cake batter. If you broke a blob up, it looked exactly like a swirling bowl of miso soup. The blobs only came out if you scooped fast and nearly horizontal, and even then a lot of the particulate escaped the mesh. It did not smell, neither good nor bad. I slopped it out on the pool decking. Big mistake because now I am going to have to pressure wash everything. As it dried it turned into pancake batter and then a really dense mud cake. I do have pics and as soon as I can configure a Photobucket account or use one of my cloud storage services I can put more pics on the forum. It really is amazing--you could read a book submerged on the bottom of the shallow end. The deep end isn't perfect yet, so I added a little more alum this afternoon. While I had very little sediment after the 40 lbs of alum, after I got into the pool today and basically splashed everything over to the filter intake and eliminated the top layer of yellow scum, it seemed like more of the particulate started to settle to the bottom.

I will definitely change the sand soon. I also discovered that backwashing the filter is sending some sediment back into the pool so I may have some infrastructure issues.

Cake batter??? Interesting! I am glad it is working for you. Too bad about the pressure washing of deck.

I asked all of the questions just in case someone else tried it. I can tell them what might happen and what not to do.

THANKS!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.