Celebrating my one-year anniversary with TFP!

Jul 27, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I found the TFP website a year ago. I'd taken over care of my pool after using a pool service for three years. I had the pool painted so the pool had been drained and refilled and I took over the care of the pool and had to learn everything from scratch. I went to Leslie's and bought a few hundred dollars worth of supplies and followed their advice. I took in water samples often that first summer and used their kit for testing of Cl, pH, and TA. During the winter, I stopped taking in samples and the water looked fine, following the advice of how many pucks to add each week. At the beginning of the next summer I took in a sample and was shocked to hear that the Cyanuric acid level was over 100. I asked, How did that happen? That's when I learned that the pucks (and shock) I'd been adding raised the CYA level. I asked what I should do about it. Well, I needed at least a partial drain but should wait until winter. What was I supposed to do in the meantime? Use more pucks, of course! Run two floaters full of pucks instead of one! I knew that was bad advice that would only keep raising the CYA level. So I searched the internet for an alternative and found the TFP website. What a lifesaver! I became educated in the TFP method of pool chemicals. It all made sense and it worked! I became a TFP supporter. I managed to keep the water clear until I could do a partial drain in the winter. Since then I have added borates. I am so grateful for the TFP website. You guys rock!