Soft spots around pool wall and stone issue

Jun 7, 2014
Rochester,NY
Hey all,

The title says it all. Today I was enjoying time with the kids in the pool and was moving around the wall and really noticed a soft spot, then another, and another, and so on. I continued to move all the way around the pool and just about everywhere around the outer 6" is soft. When I say soft I guess I mean a softness compared to a pushing with your foot on beach sand right at the shore line or moist dirt. I don't think it has anything to do with water under the liner as we haven't had any significant rain in a while and the landscape around the pool is well drained and sloped away from the pool. Its somewhat soft but after I press on it a few times with my foot it firms up, although now I have many uneven spots around the outside of the pool.

My pool was installed around a year and a half ago so I'm wondering if this is just due to settling or it was just in need of me compacting around the edges or if this is something more than I think. I did noticed some ants around a portion but they were only around about 1/6 of the outer wall and I have been spraying for them since early June. The rest of the pool, while not totally smooth is firm. My installer said that the bottom may be bumpy for at least a few years before settling and getting smoother, but I got concerned when I started feeling the soft spots around the outside of the pool and thought I would ask.

Sorry I don't have a sig yet but I have a 24' sharkline oceanic AGP 25 gauge liner.

I also have a second question that has to do with the liner. I have been noticing some small rocks here and there this year, but nothing bigger than the average pea stone size. All of them I have been able to roll to a smooth side and push into the sand until the one my wife found today. This one isn't moving and the result from trying to smooth it has resulted in a possible tear in the liner. I can see a very small black spot about the width of a pin needle on the top of the rock and I'm 99% sure its a small hole but not 100% sure. This stone is pretty sharp on top so I'm not sure whether to just leave it and hope nothing else happens or to keep trying to burry it. If I was to try and burry it again does anyone have suggestions on how to do it other than with my hands and feet or just leave it alone?

I have read to try a towel and hammer or as extreme as cutting the liner, removing stone, and patching. Not sure where to go with this either........:confused:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!!!!!!!

-Ben

I don't know why you have soft spots unless you have a leak that's traveling to the lowest point or it's the ants digging through the sand. As far as the sharp rock, cut it out and patch it.

Did your installer add sand that is starting to shift or ask away?

Either cut the Liner as has been suggested or just put a double patch over it and leave it.
Because I did not know enough about drainage when my pool was installed, rain water goes under my pool, which has caused one of my pavers to shift and a corner is pushing into the liner. Initially, I stressed about it but I have let it go and will deal with it if/when it causes a real problem. A 25 mil liner is pretty strong.

Did your installer add sand that is starting to shift or wash away?

Either cut the Liner as has been suggested or just put a double patch over it and leave it.
Because I did not know enough about drainage when my pool was installed, rain water goes under my pool, which has caused one of my pavers to shift and a corner is pushing into the liner. Initially, I stressed about it but I have let it go and will deal with it if/when it causes a real problem. A 25 mil liner is pretty strong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.