Advice on a pre filter please

Hello Everyone and thank you for your wisdoms. We just returned from Nashua, New Hampshire with our new Bullfrog 131. Long day to say the least but she is nestled nicely in the bathroom.

I wish to ask your collective expert opinions on a pre filter to remove metals from my well water in filling my tub next month. I have seen ads for Pure Fill and that is what I am considering unless anyone has experience with a different brand. The reason for the pre filter is that there is always a ring evident in the loo and my last brominator (pentair 335) had black discoloration on the stem. Thank you in advance.

Good morning. What works best will depend in part on how much copper and iron are in your well -- do you know your readings?

I haven't used pur filter but note its capacity is 1200 gallons.

Since you also have a pool on well, you might want a higher capacity on to hand top ups as well -- here are a few options if you're interested:

This one is rated for 10k gallons and is considerably more expensive (unless you go by gallons filterered, in which case its cheaper:
Amazon.com : Metal Trap MTR10 Pre-Filters Water up to 10, 000 Gallons : Patio, Lawn Garden. -- I think this one as green sand if I recall, ergo the expense. With green sand I expect its better at removing metals, but have seen elsewhere where someone tested it and at 1.3ish iron, got it down to .4... Better but not perfect...and this is the one I'd expect to get the most out.

I personally use this one on my hot tub with an 8,000 gallon capacity just so I don't have to keep buying new ones...much cheaper in long run if you go by capacity -- I don't get staining when I use it, but I still use metal control. Without it, my water tints for iron almost immediately - so it does reduce it:

Amazon.com : Pre Fresh Garden Hose End Water Filter all purpose, pool, spa, hot tub, pets, car wash : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

^Dave, the difference between adding, say 1.5 ppm of iron and .4 ppm iron is certainly worth doing and has been achieved by a few TFPers who have measured the iron on either side.

So while I agree that no pre filter wholly removes metal, I don't think that means one shouldn't try to REDUCE the load so that its manageable ;) For example, higher the ppm, the more problematic to sequester, the faster and more severe the staining at high ph, and the more likely the water will tint with the addition of slam level chlorine.

I have close to 2 ppm iron in my raw well water. In the hot tub, (using hard water) pre filtering makes a distinct difference. In the pool, switching to softened water, which again does not remove ALL the iron, but at least 75% of it, has helped me drop my iron level to .3 over the last 2 seasons, which is way more manageable.

People with well water want pools and spas too ;) We *can* help them manage it so long as they're adequately forewarned that there are tricks and that its tricky ;)

Dear Dave and Swampwoman, Thank you for your swift responses. My water is not colored whatsoever and has a magnificent taste. Many years ago and 700 feet away from my present well, I had a comprehensive water analysis performed on the well and the pond. It was 55 pages of results and over a grand to have done.

I would like to assume the results of that old test would be similar to present time. However, since I am really dealing with unknowns at this time, I shall take a sample of water to be tested locally. A free offering of testing includes pH, TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), Hardness, Iron, Iron Bacteria, Manganese, Copper, Nitrates, Sulfides, and Tannins. I shall post my results thereafter. My primary concern is to prevent any physical damage to my new spa. Thanks again.

I don't think that means one shouldn't try to REDUCE the load so that its manageable
I absolutely agree that anyone is free to try to REDUCE the iron present in their water.

I frequently read of folks believing they will ELIMINATE the iron in their water with a mechanical filter. That is not going to happen and folks who's water source contains iron should be made aware of that so they have a plan B.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.