Life with a Hayward SuperPump VS (and troubleshooting the Er64)

Brett, can I spin the fan without taking off the back? I managed to rotate the fan a little using a screwdriver through the fan shield. However, it is still throwing the Err64. On powerup, sometimes I hear relays click, sometimes I don't.

If you still have your old power unit, plug it in (somehow?) take the back off where the fan is (or just spin the shaft if it's disconnected from the pump) and see if it works.

Do you uninstall your pump motor for the winter and store it inside?

Mine was just replaced this morning by a Hayward warranty service shop. This is my 2nd replacement on the original warranty.

Sorry I cant help with this error. Also mine is already tucked away for the winter, but id like to know how you make out.
I'm assuming your still under warranty with your pimp?

RE, Do you uninstall your pump motor for the winter and store it inside?
Yes, the Pump is installed the same as the SuperPump it replaced, Simple (new)220v 15amp plug into a (new)220v socket with a waterproof cover,which was in service for 18+ years.

undo the 2 unions, unplug the power cord & put in the garage.

You use a plug connection for the pump? I thought that was against NEC and local codes. What do you do about the bonding wire connection?

My user manual section 4.9 states "Pump MUST be permanently connected to circuit."
Here is the copy of the NEC : Article 680 - Swimming Pool Installations As per # 680.7 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. You can use a cord & plug
This thread has some good detail on cord & Plug
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...Plug-In-Receptacle?highlight=pump+wiring+plug

I recently took part in another thread regarding this and cant find it ?:brickwall:

Binding is via the installed bonding lug.

RE: Hayward manual statement. I guess there is a possibly the statement can be used to justify a warranty issue. However the pump install meets code(s).

In the Northeast, as well as any other areas where winterization is needed, being able to remove the pump for the non swimming months and store in a clean dry place has its value as well

I think I will disconnect my pump after closing and install a similar plug&cord setup next spring. I'm not sure I can meet the 3' cord requirement, but we'll see. My genny feeds a lot more amps through its plug&cord setup and that has been getting more and more use every year.

Not sure my cord will meet 3':rolleyes:, my electrician is ok with the install
I hear you on the Genny!,
During Sandy we lived off of ours for 15 days, with last weekend storm had it running for about 6 hrs while our grid connection was down.
I also expect more use as time goes by.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an idea. I still have my previous Hayward 2605X7 standard pump. I replaced it with the VS because it was making very loud noises and pulling more amps than the max duty rating. But when I bench tested it, it ran smooth as silk. I'm thinking in a pinch, if the grid goes down for more than a few days in the summer, I can swap out the VS for the old pump and run that off the generator. I think in the spring time I will put cord & plug on both pumps and be ready for an extended power outage. Just 4 cap screws and the bonding wire to change out.

One of the things I did to protect my VS pump and pool equipment was to add surge protection. I have two "whole house" surge protectors. One is installed at the power line coming into my main distribution panel and a second one on the pool sub panel that supplies the pump. Cost me about $135 for both. I guess I'll never know if it was worth it, but it sure gives me some peace of mind..

I have a whole house surge protector on my panel. Apparently a power surge was not the problem that caused 2 of these VS pump controllers to suffer and internal short.

After having is fail on me twice after rain storms, I feel I have to throw the breaker, disconnect the bonding wire, and cover the pump so it doesn't get wet until after the storm. This sucks. I won't always be home to do that in time.

One of the things I did to protect my VS pump and pool equipment was to add surge protection. I have two "whole house" surge protectors. One is installed at the power line coming into my main distribution panel and a second one on the pool sub panel that supplies the pump. Cost me about $135 for both. I guess I'll never know if it was worth it, but it sure gives me some peace of mind..

- - - Updated - - -

If you manage to get a dialog going with your engineering department, ask them what happened to serial numbers 21121411005239023 and 21121506005577036. I would love to know if these were bad units, or is there something I can do to prevent the failures in the future. Thank you.

No reply back. I will ask again.

Just to be clear I not only have a surge protector on my main panel. There is a second one right on the breaker supplying the pump. The line between the main panel and the sub panel can act like an antenna during a thunderstorm. Protecting the power line coming in is important, but you also need protection at the pump. The fact that this happens during storms means it's either lightning or moisture causing the problem.

It certainly can't hurt for me to put a surge protector at the pump subpanel. I'll do that. Maybe a lightning arrestor too.

On my main panel, in addition to the whole house surge protector, I also use a surge capacitor and a lightning arrestor. I'm not an electrical engineer, but from what I understand, those two other devices help cover different types of damaging electricial coming into your panel. I added all three after an electrical spike on the power lines wiped out many of the electronic devices in the neighborhood. I lost thousands of dollars in equipment and the electrical company, who admitted fault, only reimbursed me for $400. They claimed it was in the service contract, like I had a choice.

Just to be clear I no only have a surge protector on my main panel. There is a second one right on the breaker supplying the pump. The line between the main panel and the sub panel can act like an antenna during a thunderstorm. Protecting the power line coming is important, but you also need protection at the pump. The fact that this happens during storms means it's either lightning or moisture causing the problem.

Well, it happened to me again. Err 64. We had a huge storm and flood about an hour before I got home. The pump was flashing Err 64. Unplugged, waited, plugged in, same error. Took off the fan cover, spun the fan quite a few times. Same error.

I took the cover off the control panel and everything was completely dry. If any water got in, it would have been through the bottom or maybe the shaft with the fan on the end. We did not lose power during the storm.

Any idea, or any other info on what causes this Err 64? Last time I was under warranty and got the pump replaced. This time, no warranty.

Since my pump was permanently shorted and non-functional, I replace it and am in the process of disassembling the failed unit to see if I can repair it.

One fact became clear so far. The flood water entered through a small hole on the bottom of the casing just aft of the front bearing. I assume this hole is for draining water that may enter due to a failed shaft seal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.