1. Back To Top    #1

BBB and CYA

So I've tested everything as follows

FC 2
    CC .5
    TA 110
    pH 7.6
    CYA 55
    CH 260...I think, it's close...I had a hard time counting that high with my shoes on

So what's the BBB answer to raise CYA to 70? I'm adding bleach to increase FC and muriatic acid to lower pH to then aerate and decrease TA...but what to do about CYA?
    11,000 gal + overflow spa, IG gunnite, Pentair 48FNS DE filter, Hayward SP3210X15 pump, CompuPool CPSC36 Chlorine generator, pool valet w/5 zones, Pentair LP heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB and CYA

Just add some CYA to the skimmer or use trichlor or dichlor if you have any.

I like to put the CYA in a sock in the skimmer so it dissolves before entering the filter in case I have to backwash my sand filter. Just be sure to wait a full week before retesting CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Forgot to ask...do I really need to raise the CYA? My pool does not get a lot of direct sunlight and my chlorine (OTO testing only) last summer remained very steady in its first year.
    11,000 gal + overflow spa, IG gunnite, Pentair 48FNS DE filter, Hayward SP3210X15 pump, CompuPool CPSC36 Chlorine generator, pool valet w/5 zones, Pentair LP heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Forgot to ask...do I really need to raise the CYA?
    No, but why wouldn't you? Almost all SWG manufactures like to see 60-80ppm. It'll allow you to run your FC a little lower and, subsequently, increase your cell life.

That said, it sounds like you have your pool sorta' "in the zone" and you know how to keep it there. With that in mind, I might opt to stay just where you are.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chezhed
    Forgot to ask...do I really need to raise the CYA? My pool does not get a lot of direct sunlight and my chlorine (OTO testing only) last summer remained very steady in its first year.
    Read this thread and it might answer that question for you!
    water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html